New
Find
Notify
Tools

A. B. Stiga-Verken Tranas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here know anything about this Swedish company? Have one of their rifles in the shop in .30-06 built on a Swedish 1894/96/38 series Mauser action.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You GSP7

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WJW:
Anyone here know anything about this Swedish company? Have one of their rifles in the shop in .30-06 built on a Swedish 1894/96/38 series Mauser action.

Bill

Stiga makes lawmovers and other garden related things,

all the High pressure cart in the 38/96/94 actions are according to a Swedish consensus a bad idea and there are more than a few stories of lug set backs and cracked recievers around to make that point,

Stiga bought all the surplus actions they could find at one time and had them rebarreled and st in new stocks, new sights were added to and some actions even got a different trigger system.

So having one of those rifles is a bit of gamble, in 6,5x55/8x57 and 9,3x57 I would have no problems with them but for the rest 308/30-06 x62, I would steer away.

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have a Stiga in 9.3 x 62 and like it just fine. The magazine box was cut off at the nose and extended with a spot-welded extension and the military trigger has a pad welded to the guard to take up the first-stage creep. Works quite well. If anyone remembers, as soon as the Spanish FR-7 rifles came out they instantly were identified as too soft for SAMMI 308 pressures. Lots of bolt set back reports. The Stigas have been out in circulation here for 5-7 years and there is no similar chatter about them. There's none at all in Sweden where they've been in circulation for 40 years (or they would have been pulled off the market); but there are plenty of reports of set-back in rebarreled military actions. So I would guess Stiga re-heat treated them properly. I would have no problem with them in 270 or 30-06 but that's just one opinion.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rebulid Stiga rifles specialy in caliber 30-06 and 9,5xx62, are some of the major causes for giving a m96 a bad reputation as not strong enough for modern presure.
They were definitly not reheat treated, and there are several reports of blown recievers.
The biggest problem, is the crazy extention forward of the magazine, this reduces the overall strength of the reciever by more than 50%.

After rebuliding more than 14000 m96 we always had a strict rule. NEVER TUCH A STIGA REBULID ACTION.