Find
Notify
Tools

Thread Protector
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I lost the thread protector for a rifle that has a muzzle brake. Can I simply send in the muzzle brake and have a thread protector made, or do I need to send the whole rifle? Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you send me the thread diameter, Threads per inch, the OD of the barrel and the length of the threaded portion I could probably make one for you. CM or stainless?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The condition of the muzzles threads are critical to the proper alignment and fit of the brake, suppressor, etc., therefore in order to best protect that thread and maintain the alignment, I would want the barrel in hand to hand make and fit the protector for the barrel.

Not saying you couldn't have one made from your brake, but the shop may have to make a thread form to check your brakes threads against, and without knowing the exact dimensions of the barrels major thread, it may come back too snug, or, it may be too sloppy which can damage the muzzles threads and affect the alignment.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would have to agree with wespac on certain items here. It would be easier with the barrel in hand. But, if it is a standard thread, 1/2-28 or 5/8-24, or similar it is a no brainer.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
But, if it is a standard thread, 1/2-28 or 5/8-24, or similar it is a no brainer.

I don't know. You might get by using a standard tap.

As an example, I don't know how many pre-threaded barrels you've installed for your customers, but the pre-threaded barrels my customers bring me, thinking they are saving money, don't always fit. You end up having to re-cut the threads or something else just to make it fit. I've even had to redo the entire thread tenon to get it right. Same problems exist when trying to make a thread protector to fit someone else's threads.

If the barrel were threaded to ASME standards, and you had a standard tap, then yes, it might be a no brainer. But as a rule, at least from what I've seen over the years, unless the barrel and brake threads are mass produced using taps and dies, or, CNC equipment, barrel threads installed by custom shops are anything but standard.

FWIW, I'm talking only about a good, quality fit.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot disagree with that; only saying if it don't fit I would be willing to re-do the barrel so it does. He does make a good point.

When I make a brake, I usually make and thread the brake first and then thread the barrel to fit.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Jim, et al, thanks for the help. I just moved to AK and don't have any of my micrometers or other measuring tools. If I can't locate someone who has them, can I just send you the break?

The barrel is CM but coated matte black. Stainless would work ok because I wouldn't have to coat it with anything. Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could just send it if you like. I would be able to tell if it is a standard thread or not. If not I would need the barrel.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my $.02, but send Jim the brake, he can make a protector. Then you can try it on. If it goes on nice, use it. If it is a little tight or loose, tell Jim and he can make one a little looser/tighter.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until you get a new cover, use a short piece of radiator hose to protect them threads...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until you get a new cover, use a short piece of radiator hose to protect them threads...

A piece about two inches long should provide sufficient friction to keep it on the barrel...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote