New
Find
Notify
Tools

P17 to 338 Lapua?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem P17 still in the original 3006. Major work to rebbl to 338 Lapua? I know there's bolt face and feed rail work but how about the mag box? Is this feasible? I haven't been able to find the 338 case dimensions but the ballistics are impressive. Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a fellow up here in British Columbia who has made some fabulous long-range rifles out of exactly that action. Here's a link to one of his latest projects, a .300 Remington Ultramag, which apparently works beautifully.

If the huge Ultramag case works, it stands to reason that you should be able to make it work with a .338 Lapua. Another similar cartridge worthy of consideration might be the .338 Remington Ultramag.

Here's the link: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?t=19540

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also build the 338-416 Rigby Improved on this action. Or pretty much anything else smaller then the 50 BMG, for that matter. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks P 17. I'll dig around in the web site. Dan, the stuff I've read says that the 338 Lapua was originally designed using basic 416 brass for the U.S. Navy and was chucked due to lack of funds so it's probably very similiar to the 338/416. I guess the Fins and the Swiss are using it for their military sniper rifle and also tact police rifle. Sako Chambers two rifles for it, the TRG and The TRG S. (I think). The TRG S is a hunter, detachable mag, a little over eight pounds and a little over $800. I bet the recoil is rough. I'm looking at around ten and a half pounds. Anyone know where I can get the case dimensions? Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I'm having a 338 Lapua Mag being built as we speek. The metal work is finished and I'm waiting for the stock work to be completed. Mine is built on a P-14 with a 29" 1.250" barrel with a brake. The specs can be found at http://www.clymertool.com/ Hope this helps some, Ed Coffey

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Big Dog. Was extensive work required on the magazine box? Or is there a mag box available that will work? What is the capacity? Appreciate the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First you need to recut the bolt face larger in dia and DEEPER, The rim thickness on the Lapua is .065" while the 30-06 is .045".Otherwise you have to thin up the extractor hook, which is not a good idea. A lot of gunsmiths forget about the rim thickness difference.

You need a new longer extractor that I make, or you can open up the P17.

Rebarrel now is straight forward.

The magazine box can be formed from .050" mild steel to work in the old guard. It needs to be of the proper width in the rear and taper to fit the cartidge.
I make new milled steel trigerguards for the Enfield however I don't have any on hand at this time for this caliber.

The feed rails will have to be remachined to match up with the box. This will be a milling machine show with a carbide ball end mill of 3/8" or 7/16" dia.Then the final work done by hand.

You will also need a new follower since the box is wider now.

The work is much like converting to 416 Riby, I published an article in the Gunmaker several years ago about this.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Some of those P17's are almost a century old and steel looses toughness as the carbon keeps coming out of the grain boundries. A 338 Lapua is a maximum cartridge and the P17 is not a containment design if a case ruptures. Neither is that good at getting rid of gas.

I would leave it as is and find a newer action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Some of those P17's are almost a century old and steel looses toughness as the carbon keeps coming out of the grain boundries. A 338 Lapua is a maximum cartridge and the P17 is not a containment design if a case ruptures. Neither is that good at getting rid of gas.

I would leave it as is and find a newer action.

I'm sorry, Savage 99, I have never heard that. The M1917 and P-14 Enfields are plenty tough. In fact the actions' main problem is it is too hard, and often require additional steps, including normalization, to machine them. And yes the original barrel should be releived in front of the action to facilitate its removal without cracking the action. Again, because the action is too hard. A newer action may be less expensive to machine for the 338 lapua, now that I don't know. If it were me and the American Enfield action is what I had, I would use it.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M1917 uses a nickle steel like pre-war M-70s ,M-30s,M-720s,and late number Springfields.I think age might stress relieve steel.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have a Sako TRG-S in 338 Lapua. Yes, it does bite. With a 26" barrel, velocities are just a bit faster then the 340 Wby, so I really think you need more barrel, 28"-30" at least. The brass is basically shortened 416 brass necked down to 338. However, the Lapua brass is apparently built to higher pressure standards then 416 Rigby brass, so that may have some effect. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J Wisner, Good info, I didn't know about the difference in rim thickness. I'll print this out snd give it to my smith.

Thanks everybody for your input. Dan, I think you are right, we are discussing a longer bbl, at least 28". My little gun club here now has a 1000 yd range. This is going to be fun.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Jim absolutly correct.. you must cut the face, and heat treat it... besides, that cleans up "a hundreed yars" of 30-06 on the face.

Savage,
I appreciate your caution... Yep the actual complaint of enfield is that they are too hard.

MY complaint is that they are 2 lugs

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about this guys, would I be better off with a P 14 bolt? Less work? Thanks Jeffe. Do you want the other P 17 Rem Enfield I have?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bob,
my 500 has the 17 bolt... and its' the same head diameter and the lapua and rugby...

yep, I sure want....

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, Email me your phone number and a good time to call and I'll call you. Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, please keep us informed about your progress in this exciting project.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would use a P14 bolt.

The firing pin hole is smaller dia, and the extra metal on the LH lug can be recut to the 45 degree angle to match the breech.

This extra amount of metal is really needed once you get up to the Rigby size case head dia.

But the P 17 bolt will also work.

Jim Wisner

[ 09-26-2003, 23:35: Message edited by: J Wisner ]

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P 17, You can count on it. I'm going to visit with my 'smith in the morning hopefully to finalize our deal. If I can't make a deal with him I've got another 'smith who loves Enfields and Mexican Mausers who I think will do it. He's got a broken arm right now so there would be a delay.

Wisner, thanks for your input. I think I saw P 14 bolts advertised in the Shotgun news. If not I have a complete P 14 thAt i can pull the bolt from.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Guys, I have an agreement with my 'smith for this project. Next decision, what bbl and what length. I'm thinking 28" and maybe Krieger? Any suggestions? Anybody have an address for a 1000 yd competition ahooters forum where I might get some recommendations. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob:

The only suggestion I have is that it might be a little more economical and just as satisfactory to chamber for the .338 RUM. Its case capacity is so close to the Lapua that there is no practical difference in velocity. Since it uses a regular .530" bolt face and more readily available (and less expensive) brass, you might find it preferable in the long run. I also assume that the rim thickness would not be an issue as with the Lapua.

Actually, I think it was silly for Remington to shorten the case just to place the mouth at the right length for some bullet's cannelure, so you could gain a little by chambering for a .338/.300 RUM if you wanted.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mehaffey:
Anybody have an address for a 1000 yd competition ahooters forum where I might get some recommendations. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

LongRangeHunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stonecreek, That's probably good advice. The Black Hills 338 Laoua ammo is $110 a box. We haven't ordered the bbl yet, much less the reamer, so plenty of time to ponder.

Thanks Boyd, I'll go there and see what I can learn.