New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 670 Pillar bedding
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for some advice..
I have a Model 670 that I would like to Pillar bed. I've been researching for the last few weeks, on here and elsewhere, and I think I have a pretty good handle on how to do it. The problem I'm having is, it just doesn't look like there's enough room between the front guard screw and the blind magazine box for a pillar. Should I pillar the rear guard screw and the action screw only? I also plan to bed the recoil lug as the factory stock has no bedding in this area at all. Any advice in particular to a model 670 will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Posts: 12 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on point, I bought a very used 670 for grins. Rear tang area on stock is cracked - from recoil shift. I suspect the only bedding you need to do is bed the recoil lug and free float the barrel. Even a .30-06 has suffecient recoil to damage the stock without bedding.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the object of adding pillars is to keep the action from becoming distorted as it is tightened in it's stock, it makes no sense to only use 1 pillar. I don't have a 670 stock to look at, but, be creative. If the magazine box is too close to the guard screw, trim that side of the pillar enough to clear. 3 points of solid contact are better than none. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
malm,
Trim to fit, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I guess I should trust my own instincts. Thanks for the advice.

grizz007,
I was lucky enough to have this rifle given to me, it's a 300 win mag. The stock is pretty ugly so I'm also going to try and strip it and darken it before I do the bedding. If it doesn't work, I'll probably buy an aftermarket laminated stock.

Mike

Posts: 12 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote