Find
Notify
Tools

lh winchester 300 win mag question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
in the process of acquiring a 7mmremmag in the same configuration. the 300 i have and the 7 for that matter have the same barrel profile. would trade either for an 06 or thinking to have the barrel duplicated and made up into a 300 H&H.

has anyone copied the winchester barrel profile for such an undertaking before? and no i am not interested in a 300 win mag.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one confused here?

You are looking to trade a 7mm Mag or a 30 caliber barrel for a 30-06 barrel, or are these complete rifles?

And/or, you would like to chamber the 30 cal barrel in 300 H&H mag, and want to know if you can re-profile the barrel? Is that what you meant by having the "barrel duplicated"?

I don't want to trade, but re-profiling a barrel is easy with a lathe. Not sure how else I can help...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How difficult will it be to close the bolt face from .532 to .473? What exactly would that entail?
I've heard of the bolt face being opened up but not contracted. Hope you don't mind my asking this here Bluefish.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle in 300 and am in the process of acquiring a second rifle in 7mm rem mag. i will either trade one of them for a 473 boltface rifle or will keep both as 532 guns. one of them will then be rebarrelled as a 300 H&H and I am wondering if anyone has ever copied the winchester barrel profile which comes on these factory guns.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Very easy to have the contour copied. Pull barrel and ship it off to the maker and for a small extra fee they'll copy it fo you. It's done all the time.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re

if i remember right douglas still does a winny contour

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I have one rifle in 300 and am in the process of acquiring a second rifle in 7mm rem mag. i will either trade one of them for a 473 boltface rifle or will keep both as 532 guns. one of them will then be rebarrelled as a 300 H&H and I am wondering if anyone has ever copied the winchester barrel profile which comes on these factory guns.

You are going to have trouble housing a 300H+H round in a standard length Win Model 70, they require the magnum length action. The 3.6" max length for the H+H cartridge will be your problem. It can be done, but the rear bridge needs opening, the bolt stop has to be moved 1/4" to the rear and a new mag box, follower and spring need to be fitted, not to mention re-drilling/tapping the rear bridge for the correct scope base.
Good luck with your project, if it were me, I'd just buy a rifle already chambered for the 300H+H.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
considering how often it is done I dont' think I'm worried.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey bluefish
If I recall Pac Nor (my preferred barrel maker) and McGowan and several others produce barrels that are meant as direct replacements for factory barrels (same contour as factory).
Give Pac Nor a call.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
nice idea. thanks for that.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Turning down a barrel to a smaller profile sounds like a breeze compared with all that magazine work to accommodate an obsolete calibre. Fortunately the 300 H&H is not really up to much dangerous game, so you might not get squished if it doesn't work properly.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Nobody is turning down a barrel caliber. I like the feel of the profile and am considering have one just like it made just chambered in a different 30. The most dangerous game I'd point it at would be a moose. "All the magazine work...". Except for the WSM rounds the M70 Classics are all the same length receiver which leaves the bolt stop, ejector, maybe the port, the rails at the rear, a new follower. I could even (Heavens No!) live with it as 3+1 and use the factory bottom metal leaving me a magazine to deal with.

The real 64k question you can answer for us then is what makes it an obsolete caliber? Shall I suppose we shall grab hammers and axes and rid ourselves of the rest of the "obsolete classics" which still work? Not 20 minutes ago I used an obsolete 22LR to dust a problem red squirrel. Come to think of it I've never used anything but obsolete calibers to shoot game.

On balance, should I relegate myself to the bin or run out and arm myself with?

Gimme a break on the obsolete crap. The H&H has a ton going for it. But perhaps some of its other champions on the site would care to offer anecdotes to demonstrate its abilities, obsolete or not. But either way, please tell me what and why it's obsolete and what you would recommend.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though you didn't take much care with the writing back there, bluefish, it seemed your early posts were all about barrel profile.

The best part of the 300H&H is probably that the taper in the case body helps feeding and ensuring cases don't stick. That said, it is unnecessarily long for the power it imparts and ammo is probably a bit hard to find in remote shops these days - an important matter if you run out or lose your supply somewhere.

If I were to be offered a classic rifle in that calibre I might buy it and put up with the problems but I certainly wouldn't make up a new one.

Its improved version, the 300 Weatherby, gives more bang from the same case length.

Another obsolete cartridge, the 308 Norma magnum, should really rule the roost in standard Mauser length actions - but it had the temerity not to be launched by Winchester or Remington.

The 300 WSM, being short and fat, seems to be very efficient ballistically but I wouldn't want to do that conversion either.

I don't like the shape of the 300 Win mag but it is the obvious .30. Since you've already got a 7mm mag, perhaps something bigger might appeal.

The 338 Win mag works in standard-length actions and one of was Elmer Keith's favorites for North American big game. I've been using one for 35 years and think it is just the thing for elk-size critters.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of one short action that win came up with sometime back for the 22-250 etc. all mod. 70s are 300 H&H and 375 Length, they are shortened or lengthened by using a smaller or larger box magazine and a longer or shorter bolt stop..its and easy fix.

Balistically the 300 H&H can only be bested by the 300 Wby, and then not my much ( not including the RUMs etc)...

It no great trick to get 3000 FPS plus at reasonalble pressure with a 200 gr. bullet in the H&H with a 26 inch tube...Can't quite do that in a 300 Win mag., but the trade off is the Win mags are available in lighter, shorter better hunting rifles and the velocity difference is only a 100 FPS give or take 25 FPS less.

I recently sold my 300 H&H that I used for many years because of the weight and size, and my age. I replaced it with a 300 Win. Ruger 77 ss,boatpaddle stocked 1980s rifle, and it is a much lighter rifle. I don't have but two SS rifles and only one with a plastic stock, but it will be nice to stuff that tough boatpaddle stock barrel upright in the snow and gut my elk next year.. Smiler I was told the boatpaddle stocks didn't handle recoil well but I have found quite the opposite..so many times these things are persieved as opposed to tested.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote