THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you like to use for Reamers and Gauges?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used several different brands of reamers and gauges in the past but am looking for a dedicated source to purchase from.

Lets say PTG has bungled it for the last time.

Who do you buy from?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
They royally screwed the pooch.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Manson hands down
PTG has inconsistent shipping

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good luck with Dave Manson. Good tooling and easy people to work with.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I buy all my reamers from Dave Manson.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with PTG although my last two orders were pretty darn difficult to get updates on and shipped. I'm not sure what is going on. You might give Dave Kiff a call and talk about your issues. He is very knowledgeable and seem to stand behind his work.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
I have been pleased with PTG although my last two orders were pretty darn difficult to get updates on and shipped. I'm not sure what is going on. You might give Dave Kiff a call and talk about your issues. He is very knowledgeable and seem to stand behind his work.
Steve

I know what the problem is.

Machinist running a business, thats the problem

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used Clymer for years. Then with to PTG. I have never had and issue or delay with PTG. But, I haven't ordered a reamer in the last couple of years.

I can understand a mistake. Can happen to anyone. I can't picture PTG not making it right.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a number of reamers from PT&G, but this last one I ordered was a nightmare. They lost my order, lost the sample dummy round, finally after 6 - 8 months got the reamer to me, but no headspace gauge. Another wait for that to get done, AND they charged my credit card when I placed the order not when it was done and shipped. Not happy at this point!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have bought a number of reamers from PT&G, but this last one I ordered was a nightmare. They lost my order, lost the sample dummy round, finally after 6 - 8 months got the reamer to me, but no headspace gauge. Another wait for that to get done, AND they charged my credit card when I placed the order not when it was done and shipped. Not happy at this point!

Now that sounds like a lot of places that bigger than their support structure could handle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I support my neighbors when ever I can. So I use Dave Manson. Good products too.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't bought any for a few years, but when I do it will be Dave Manson. Very good to work with and does great work.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote of confidence for Dave Manson, though I've also had good service from PT&G in the past.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Manson.

I used to split between Manson and PTG. 2 PTG orders in a row not right, and the third strike was "correcting" my custom drawing on the proof print without explanation of why the suggestion.

One of the screw ups was a reamer sent to a third party gunsmith who used it without knowing what I had ordered, and it essentially ruined the special barrel I had ordered for the project. Their answer was that it was my responsibility to check the order when received. Probably true, but I would prefer it to be right instead.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:

One of the screw ups was a reamer sent to a third party gunsmith who used it without knowing what I had ordered, and it essentially ruined the special barrel I had ordered for the project. Their answer was that it was my responsibility to check the order when received. Probably true, but I would prefer it to be right instead.

dave

That right there explains it to a T.

I ordered a "special" reamer, not custom, they sent me the reamer. I sent it to the gunsmith doing the job. He fortunately did NOT ruin the special order Krieger barrel.

I won't be using PTG again unless absolutely necessary. They, in short, stated it was my responsibility to verify that the reamer and gauges were made correctly. Without a CMM or Optical Comparator I have little hope of doing that. The woman handling the issue said, and I am quoting her; "We are happy to send you the print, all you have to do is look at the print and make sure it is right"

The funny thing is, they checked the "verbal notes", stating that is what I ordered, but then had none. They don't know what the reamer is that they sent me, and cannot explain to me why that is what I got, other than, according to them, it is what I ordered.

I used to call and speak with Dave, normally concerning anything I talked to him. The last 3 orders I have placed have been screwed up in one way or another. This reamer, the wrong one, took 8 months to deliver. They have promised its replacement in 4 weeks.

I asked to speak to Dave concerning this issue and was told "this issue does not warrant him getting involved".

I asked to speak to someone there who can explain what this reamer is, and what it is made for. I asked for someone there to explain to me why I should continue to be a customer when I cannot count on them to supply the tooling needed to do the job. I would say, lacking a return phone call on both issues, pretty well seals the deal as to me never buying from them again.

I spoke with Dave Manson today and he was very happy to bring me on board as a customer, even though I do not buy a lot of reamers. We spoke some about the reamer I needed, he was very informative and helpful, and did not rush me off the phone. If the customer is OK waiting I am going to go ahead and call PTG and politely let them know that if Dave would like to call me and explain their issue he can, but until then, they can cancel my order.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are in the same boat as I.
I may give PT&G another try, but not until I hear they have made big changes in how they do business.
I'll call Manson for my next reamer too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henriksen Took Company, Inc.
Address: 8515 Wagner Creek Rd., Talent, Oregon 97540, USA
Phone: +1-(541)-535-2309
Specializes in target and benchrest reamers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
X2 Hugh Henriksen's reamers are the VERY BEST you can buy. He is a one man shop and much in demand but his reamers are jewels. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I always used PTG for 10 years, but they have been a disaster to deal with for the last 2 years.

I ordered my last reamer from Manson, and it was a good experience. Will use them again next time.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Henriksen Took Company, Inc.
Address: 8515 Wagner Creek Rd., Talent, Oregon 97540, USA
Phone: +1-(541)-535-2309
Specializes in target and benchrest reamers.

Henriksen has a great reputation. I just couldn't wait the 1 year plus lead time for a reamer.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I hate to see all the bad experiences. I had a hope that mine was an uncommon occurrence, and I was just being too picky. I used to get exceptional service and quality from PTG.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave: I used to get exceptional service and quality from PTG.

dave

I used to as well... which adds to the disappointment.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think PTG's poor service is from the growing pains of their exponentially expanding products.

I have noticed that that kind of growth with other businesses usually leads to increased debt, unsold products and poor allocation of resources.

Eventually with an implosion and collapse into bankruptcy.
Hopefully that isn't PTGs fate.

posted Hide Post
Dave Manson. You can call and talk to him, he knows what he's doing and quality is really important to him.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Manson. Standard or special, he always has or makes what I need.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I have bought a number of reamers from PT&G, but this last one I ordered was a nightmare.

I had the same experience. Well, last two reamers in fact. I gave them one more chance and that was also a cluster. I will not buy from them again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few Manson tools such as his floating reamer holder, action bushings and other action tooling and it is all very well made. I have some JGS tooling that has always worked well, I have currently purchased some piloted PTG Range Rods that to date have been of good quality. I have used a few old Keith Francis reamers and even some made by Red Elliot. I have even used a few Clymers in the late 70's.

However 99% of the chamber reamers I use today or that I have kept are made by the Henriksen Tool Co. I bought the 1st one in 1980 and I'm about to order a few more this week. Hugh rarely has anything in stock, is a one man shop and makes an excellent product. He is very easy to work with and understands how to make a reamer, pilots, gauges and ancillary tooling, as good or better than anyone I have ever worked with. I think it would be fair to say that most of his reamers are made for the Bench Rest and Competition smiths today. I'm pretty certain that he does nothing in carbide.

Due to his output you need to plan well in advance. If you want it shipped by next week you's better call someone else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone that posted. I have a few good leads to work from.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com