New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 Classic CRF bolt disassembly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that explains how to completely disassemble a Winchester Model 70 Classic CRF bolt. I'm especially looking for information on how to remove the extractor. Thanks!

-- Scott

Posts: 47 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Here's an article about taking a bolt apart for cleaning. But it doesn't talk about removing the extractor.

http://www.huntingmag.com/dynamic.asp?intSectionID=325&intArticleID=1809

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To remove the extractor, rotate it around until the part of the extractor that fits in the groove around the bolt head is out of the groove, on the smooth "cylinder" part of the bolt (not sure how to really describe it), and push it forward. That's the easy part.

Assembles in reverse, but I had a heck of a time putting mine back on, because you have to hold the two "tabs" on the band together while you slide the extractor back over both tabs. If you're like me (have to take things apart to see how they work), you'll probably only do it once (unless something breaks, and you HAVE to disassemble it).

Good luck,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I might have that slightly mixed up with my Ruger bolt, but the idea is the same.

I think that you might have to "squeeze" the extractor against the bolt about half way between the band and the back of the extractor, to allow the part of the extractor to "clear" the groove in the bolt head, while pushing forward on the extractor.

Sorry,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's really easy on a "Classic" Model 70. I just did it, and I am not gifted with lots of dexterity.

Rotate the extractor around the bolt body so the extractor is on the bottom of the bolt (same side as the ejector slot)

Push forward at the back end of the extractor. It pushes off easily.

The normally unseen side of the extractor has a sort of pear-shaped opening with a wide part that accepts the hooks on the retaining ring during assembly and disasembly. The opening has a narrower part that holds the ring tight around the bolt body during normal operation.

To re-install the extractor, bring the hooks on the extractor retaining ring around to the side of the bolt where the ejector groove is. Pinch the ring shut (thumb and forefinger, no tools needed). Place the extractor over the hooks and push rearward.

Behind the extractor claw is a little tab that runs in a groove around the bolt head. That groove runs in front of one lug and dead ends at the other. You only need to push the extractor back until the little tab behind the claw is lined up with this groove. It won't snap into place. Now rotate the extractor around until the tab is riding in the groove.

Done.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote