New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this Weatherby rifle used for in America
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.weatherby.com/custom_shop/HGI/images/Custom_Large/custom_trr_desertcamo.jpg

It is tactical response etc. in 30/378 and 338/378

Are these and similar rifles used in some form of target competition....

Or are they just a heavy barrel rifle that looks the part.

It sure does look good.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
What is it used for in any country? I am sure they want 2-3K for it. It's for theose people that have more money than common sense. Then, again, what is common sense? Is there such a thing? Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What is this Weatherby rifle used for in America?

Mike

It is not!
Not by me anyway!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
I think it's supposed to be Weatherby's version of an out of the box police sniper rifle. Since most police snipers ( in America, anyways ) shoot 100 yards or less in 95% of engagments the use of those particular cartridges seems questionable to me.

OR it's meant fot the military sniper wannbe "tactical rifle" folks where style is > than substance.

I own four Weatherby products but I wouldn't purchase that one on a dare.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'm with the above, it's probably made for the wannabe's. The cartridge's listed are probably good for the 1000 yd. match crowd, but I haven't seen many of those guys shooting camo rifles.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several rifles similar to this chambered for the .338/378 and have heard guys refer to it as a poor mans .50Bmg. Both were in Savage rifles,so cheap was right.

No law enforcement agency is going to use this thing,since they're worried about the .308 being to much already.Although LAPD uses a .50cal Mcmillan for limited applications. The U.S military seldom uses the .338 lapua,so the weatherby offerings are out and if they need more then a .308,they move right up to 50 cal,since money is no object.

The .30/378,was supposedly the first 30 caliber round used out to 1000yards that produced 4inch groups or less(don't hold me to it,the group size is probably wrong)At any rate,the caliber wasn't chambered in a weatherby abortion they call a rifle.

If its like any other weatherby I've seen mike,it's used by american asswipes that have to put a muzzle brake on it,and fire it only on benchrests that have overhead cover,on the weekend,so everybody can hear and feel the muzzle blast. Electronic ear muffs are a real good investment.

As for the chamberings,the rifles I've seen in the field,were being used for elk. I saw a bull popped with the .30/378 and it reacted like a .300 win mag. Except this .300 costs 5 bucks or more a shot.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The important thing is to have the biggest rifle (and SUV) in the condo. Real "status".
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to chime in on this one. As the others have stated. The Desert Camo TRR, or any TRR chambered in a 378 based round has no use in this country, or probably anywhere else. It's for the guys that are into the whole tactical look. You know the ones I'm talking about. The guys that show up at the range when you're there, with their HK - "No Compromise" shirt, and the matching black pants with all the pockets down the side. The ones who put the muzzle brakes on their AR-15's. The ones who wanted to try out for the local police but probably couldn't pass the psych eval. because they were trigger happy. The guys with big wallets who want to best their friends who have a Rem 700 PSS.

I'll admit that bought the 30/378 Accumark the first year they came out with them because I wanted a long range flat shooting 308. Bragging rights were certainly involved. The 300 Win Mag was definitely an option, but I wanted the biggest there was, so that's what I got. I used the gun for what it was designed for and I liked it, but I despised the muzzle brake on that thing. It was absolutely horrific. Especially at the covered ranges on Sunday. As a result, I had Shilen rebarrel it in 338/378 with the longest barrel they could make in 338 in the heaviest contour they could put in the stock and I had them leave that damned brake off. I liked the gun before the change. I am absolutely in love with the gun now. I'm not a big Weatherby fan, it's the only one I own, but it's my first choice for everything. It weighs a tad over 12 lbs as close as I can figure but it's still not bad to haul around, and with the select match barrel the accuracy is good enough to kill just about anything you can see. It kicks 10x worse than it ever did before, but you learn to live with it, and the noise is tolerable now. Anyway, you could use it for anything you wanted. There's nothing in North America that it wont handle, and it could be used in a tactical application, although it would be more than required.

On a side note, I will add that when I saw the Desert Camo TRR on the cover of G&A a few months back, I really wanted to get my hands on one of those stocks for my gun, just because I think it would be better suited to bench shooting than the factory Accumark stock. Bell and Carlson told me that was the only Wby stock they were not allowed to sell to the public and to call the Custom Shop. I called the Wby Custom Shop and they wanted over $1000 just for the stock. Needless to say, my rifle still has the factory Accumark stock.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who don't like the noise from the brake on .378 based cases they are removable on the factory barrels. They come with a little screw on thread protector that replaces the brake. Then they are about as noisy as anything else. The best thing about the TRR model is the adjustable stock. Is it worth $1000 over the reqular Accumark stock. I don't know. That is less than the suggested retail price difference between the two though. I plan on picking up an Accumark in 338-378 and might check to see if you can get a better deal if you order it from the factory that way.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with being into the tactical/sniper look? I think it is too cool!

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can remove the Accubrake. The problem is that the thread protector is just that and only that. It really leaves the muzzle exposed in a bad way, or atleast I feel that it does. My father bought an identical Accumark in 30/378 before I got mine and had a local German machinist manufacture a 2 inch barrel extension to go on in place of the brake. It really doesn't serve any purpose other than to take the place of the brake and make the gun look right, and protect the muzzle. Since it's not rifled, it doesn't have any effect on velocity, but neither does the brake.

I agree with the comments about the adjustable stock. I'd really like to have one, but I don't agree with the $1000 price tag. That's just a little too ridiculous, adjustable or not. $500 maybe. Especially considering you can get the factory stock in several different finishes and styles for around $300-$350 from B&C.

BTW - Nothing wrong with the "tactical look". I think it's cool too.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote