THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Interesting - H&H Used 1917 Enfield Actions at one time
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting - H&H Used 1917 Enfield Actions at one time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Enfield and have built some real big bores with them..

I also believe that Harold Wolfe is one of the finest gunsmith in the world, Ive seen enough of his work to be sure of that. and to condem him for his love of the Mauser is ridiculas inasmuch to many of us is the finest rifle in bolt action history..When one smith condems another I find that out of order..and nothing but gossip..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about me; read what I said; I did not condemn Mr Wolf at all. I merely said that most of what he wrote about Enfields is either wrong, misunderstood, or simply his opinion. Obviously he liked Magnum Mausers better than Enfields;
Who Wouldn't? But they are in a completely different economic category, if you can find one.
I stand by my comments.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Whitworth English rifle in 375 H&H and a 404 Jefferys, both Enfields made by Whitworth some years ago, They came with aluminum bottom metal and that bothered me so Tony Barnes taught me how to use a file as he roughed a pair of them out on his mill, and handed me a file, I did it and it took forever, had them color case hardened and they were nice..Those guns at the time were on the bottom of the price list for English guns, but today will fetch a pretty penny. For a working African rifle they were about perfect. I sold the pair for $6000. Wish I still had them..I really like the Enfield that looks like a Mauser!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I really like the Enfield that looks like a Mauser!!"

What they really need is for the rear tang to be cut off and replaced with the straighter mauser style tang. Floating around somewhere in custom rifle land are a couple of 1917s done up by Ted Blackburn. I think one was called the Lion Rifle and one the Buffalo Rifle. If I remember correctly he (Ted) cut that rear tang off and replaced it on both rifles and they looked super. Anybody here own one of them?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
"I really like the Enfield that looks like a Mauser!!"

What they really need is for the rear tang to be cut off and replaced with the straighter mauser style tang. Floating around somewhere in custom rifle land are a couple of 1917s done up by Ted Blackburn. I think one was called the Lion Rifle and one the Buffalo Rifle. If I remember correctly he (Ted) cut that rear tang off and replaced it on both rifles and they looked super. Anybody here own one of them?

t
I remember one of those was a Guild rifle. Ted even made a sleeve at the ring to emulate a large ring Mauser. Bob Emmons did the stock.

Looked like a Mauser thru and thru when he was done..I even asked him why he didn't just lengthen a 98

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe: Do you remember who stocked those barreled actions that Ted worked up?

Speaking of the "Guild" I see that they now added a new feature on their website. That is, for each member they show some photos of the Craftsman's work. They didn't used to do that.
Really a nice feature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah..Bob Emmons did both

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a very good full length photo, but here is the rifle I was talking (writing) about.
The article goes on to say that "Ted Blackburn gets credit for the outstanding metal work. Ted started with a 1917 Enfield action as the basis for the rifle. The Enfield's tang area is the hardest part of the action to make look good, so Blackburn simply cut the tang area away from the action and made a new one that looked for all the world like a 98 Mauser tang."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here is the Buffalo Rifle, made on the same Enfield 1917 action by Ted Blackburn and stocked by Bob Emmons