Find
Notify
Tools

Bushing Mauser firing pins?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
I have two Vz24 actions that I would like to use for a couple of gun projects.

However, my local gunsmith says that the firing pin holes are too large and he will not bush them claiming that bushing firing pin holes is not a good idea and that the actions should be junked (or the bolts replaced).

So I am looking for confirmation of his statement or alternative views on the practicality and safety of bushing mauser firing pin holes.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably cheaper to replace the bolts anyway. You can get czech made bolts for under $40 each here in the states. I don't know the import laws in australia though
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just replace the bolts.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:

However, my local gunsmith says that the firing pin holes are too large and he will not bush them claiming that bushing firing pin holes is not a good idea and that the actions should be junked (or the bolts replaced).

So I am looking for confirmation of his statement or alternative views on the practicality and safety of bushing mauser firing pin holes.

That I suspect is baloney. I have a 1943 Swede M38 Husky that has had the entire bolt face bushed by the Swedes. I noticed the repair before I bought it and bought it anyway.
M700 Remington bolts are routinely bushed for bench rest rifles. Why would a 98 be any different?

There is also an online article in which the OZZIEs modify the bolt face of Lee Enfields so they can shoot 5.56MM as single shots.

Brits bushed Martini-Henrys to make them suitable for for conversion to .303.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg Tannal, Gre-Tan Rifles:

Greg's Website.

He's done lots, and he's quick.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
What are you going to build that the factory holes are too large to be safe with?

I don't know your gunsmith, obviously, and I can't know his knowlege level or motivation. BUT, if it was me, I'd have a local machine shop measure the diameter of the holes with pin gauges and find out exactly what diameter(s) they are. Then I'd compare those measurements with the original "spec".

If the holes are not significantly larger than when they were when built, I likely wouldn't worry a great deal about doing anything to them. I'd just find another gunsmith.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

I'd just find another gunsmith.

Or, import one. Is it true you have really great diving down there? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went about this from the other direction many years ago with an Arisaka action which had an oversize firing pin hole (or undersize firing pin, I wasn't sure which). I cut the front off the firing pin, & back bored the remainder so I could insert & soft solder in a piece of silver steel (drill rod) which had been previously shaped & heat treated. It was sold on years back but as far as I know is still going strong. From what I can remember of Mauser firing pins this should work for them too.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:

I rebarrelled a Sav99 to 6mmBR. The CCI450 small rifle magnum primers piercing are the weak link in a load work up, with that ultra strong 6mmBR case head.

The same firing pin and firing pin hole work well enough for the brass to be the weak with standard Mauser case heads with large rifle primers.

So if someone says a firing pin hole is too big or the firing pin - firing pin hole fit is too loose, then one has to ask the question, "Too loose for what cartridge". And try to get some quantification on the size of the hole and the size of the pin.

Dial calipers and pin gauges work well.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
quote:
Dial calipers and pin gauges work well.

Data bites again
Data kills magic....

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote