New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching open sights to a new rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at buying a Ruger M77 compact in .308. However, I would like to have iron sights. Is it possible to attach iron sights to the factory barrel? I have always fancied a small lightweight brush gun.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done. In fact it is done all the time.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure you can .I don't know how you are going to go about it,but you might want to try buying the Remington sights from Brownells and then glueing them on.I had my barrel drilled to accept mine but it cost me over 300(not including the price of the sights) and it took three months before I got it back.Since I don't want to pay the 300-seventy of which it cost to "mount the barreled action on the press" and the rifle will not be used for hunting,I thought about using acraglass to glue them on.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Sure you can .I don't know how you are going to go about it,but you might want to try buying the Remington sights from Brownells and then glueing them on.I had my barrel drilled to accept mine but it cost me over 300(not including the price of the sights) and it took three months before I got it back.Since I don't want to pay the 300-seventy of which it cost to "mount the barreled action on the press" and the rifle will not be used for hunting,I thought about using acraglass to glue them on.

How stupid will you feel when you touch that off in sub zero weather and the sight flies off of it!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
I am looking at buying a Ruger M77 compact in .308. However, I would like to have iron sights. Is it possible to attach iron sights to the factory barrel? I have always fancied a small lightweight brush gun.
Maybe get an rsi with the sights already installed,or get a different brand of rifle with sights.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

How stupid will you feel when you touch that off in sub zero weather and the sight flies off of it!
Not as stupid as I would if I paid the 300 again.I would then try soldering it on myself.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

Not as stupid as I would if I paid the 300 again.I would then try soldering it on myself.

Good point!
$300 would make me a bit red faced too for installing a set of sights.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and paying COD

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got a .22 Ruger bolt gun at home right now that I mounted a ramp on with good old J-B Weld. Like Shootaway says its a range rifle, if I like the end product I'll be sending it off to someone with the equipment and skills to consummate a more lasting relationship. Smiler

As to the original posters question, you might see if a banded front sight from NECG or some other source would fit your barrel. Brownells used to sell Ruger banded front sights but apparently Ruger cut them off a couple of years ago. For the rear sight you're probably going to have to pay for a drill and tap and/or solder with which ever sight you choose.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The subject of using epoxy, loctite adhesive, acra-glas, etc, in place of solder has been raised here more than once, with pros and cons intelligently voiced.

Not as outlandish as it seems at first blush, IIRC.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check w/ Ruger and see if they have the parts you want .

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I put an NEGC Ruger backup peep and a Marbles front ramp and fiber optic sight on my Ruger Frontier a few months ago.

Just used the Forster sight mounting jig (I think somebody rents them 4-D maybe?).

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote