Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR on a set back 243?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I bought a new M700 Varmint in 243 and I really didn't want a 243, I have a Shilen 6mm 1 in 8 barrel I was going to chamber it on.

How big of a pain in the ass is it to cut off set back and rechamber the 243 to 6mm BR Norma when they install and chamber the Shilen barrel?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 700 is a 243? The Shilen barrel is unchambered? Or is it a 243"?

The 6MMBR is .5" shorter than the 243. If the barrels is a 243 if you have enough shank go for it. If unchambered go for it.

As to feeding from the 700 I have no experience.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has the new original barrel on it.

I'd like to true the action and cut off and set back the original 243 barrel to 6mm BR Norma.

Then unthread it and fit the Shilen.

That way the Shilen is already fitted, and when I run through the factory barrel I am set to go. Or if the factory barrel is junk.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Your time your $$. If you can set the barrel back the fit in the stock will probably not be that great. The Shilen will probably be different still.

For my $$ pull the factory barrel leave it as a 243 and sell it. Mount the Shilen and go shooting.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And on top of that, when you do true the action, and if done correctly, the original threads may not fit, would be a sloppy fit and you would have to cut off the original threads and wouldn't have enough shank left. Besides, how long will it take you to shoot out the new 6BR?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an F-Classer I doubt it will make it to Christmas 2015.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
And on top of that, when you do true the action, and if done correctly, the original threads may not fit, would be a sloppy fit and you would have to cut off the original threads and wouldn't have enough shank left. Besides, how long will it take you to shoot out the new 6BR?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

With a 6BR?

Can't see using a set back factory barrel in F Class.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally measured it, it doesn't really have enough steel in it to cut off and set back anyway.

F-Class is like fullbore. Not shooting for group, shooting for score. Groups are nice, but technique is more important than group.

I am pretty far out of practice, it's been 18 months since I shot a match (and a continent away).

Using a 243 M700 Varmint because I could afford the rifle, bought a close out Shilen blank for $150 with plans to put a 6mm BR blank on the 243.

I have tons of 6mm BR Lapua brass, so that's why I am leaning that direction. And Redding competition dies.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just thought you needed a touch more horsepower than the 6BR. I hear people talking the 308 being marginal. Never shot it so speaking from only second hand.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know Remington used eight twist in their varmint .243. You'll need that to stabilize 105's. 6br works fine from 600-1000 but the are more forgiving options, the Dasher being one. Probably be a better use of powder and expensive bullets to chamber the new barrel. That is a challenging target.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Built a few 6BRs. They sure don't always feed well.
Mike Bryant's website has a step by step story on how to help it feed, if his website is still up. Mike was fortunate enough to retire and travel around doing what he wants to do.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

We shoot F class in Cuyama, CA every month. But that's 50 miles west of me so it would be a long drive for you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Try this:

http://www.6mmbr.com/Rem700magfix.html

Tried that one............ I still ain't got it to feed reliably.....might just be me though....

For the OP's use I would go with the XC or Dasher though.....

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is funny. One doesn't feed well and the others did with the same mods, Go figure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely my typical good luck.......

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consigned it at the local shop. Downsizing and reallocating funds for 700 clone actions.

Thanks to everyone that posted.