Find
Notify
Tools

Remove a barrel band front ramp?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I have an old Mauser barrel for sale and someone wants to buy the front ramp only. I am assuming I can just judiciously heat the band with a propane torch until it expands enough to come loose but before I bugger it up tell me how to do it.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
First remove the bead and see if there’s a set screw under it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I have an old Mauser barrel for sale and someone wants to buy the front ramp only. I am assuming I can just judiciously heat the band with a propane torch until it expands enough to come loose but before I bugger it up tell me how to do it.

If I recall correctly, there is a set screw under the front sight blade. It (the banded ramp) may not be soldered in place. Remove the sight blade to see if the set screw is present. If so, loosen the set screw and see if the sight ramp will slide off. If not, then typically a propane torch will generate enough heat to loosen the solder so you can drive the ramp off.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Thanks guys and Happy Thanksgiving!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a painted finish on both.
Was it done before or after the ramp was on?
IF after, you'll have a bare area without finish.

Does look like it all could use a new coat of Aluma Hyde anyway.
Amazing the crap that will cover up.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote