Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel/action letter stamps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=441144

I need a set of letter stamps and came accross these. Are they any good? What do I need to look for in stamps? They will be used on a varity of material and projects - mostly stainless steel and brass. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used them on normal steel barrels. They work OK. Get the guide and practice so you can hit with the same force each time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
They work well. I have used them to mark chambering data, including neck size, on all my switch-barrels. (I bought both alpha and numerical sets.)

As mentioned above, be absolutely certain to buy the "guide" as well, and practice on junk metal to learn how many spacers to use and where for best appearance.

One last thought...3/16" is the very largest I would use. If you can find smaller (like 1/8th"), I would recommend considering them instead.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck, I don't agree with you on the sizes. The largest I use is 3/32 and they look plenty big on a barrel. I use 1/16 when I have something "wordy" to stamp. I imagine 3/16 would look like a billboard on the side of a barrel.

I use an old B-Square jig. I'm not advocating it, it's just what I have. There are probably better ones on the market. A couple of the things I do to help me get by with it is;

I use a shim between the side of the guide and the stamps to help keep the letters in line. That has really helped the appearance of the finished product.

Secondly, I use a block of steel the width of the stamp to hold everything tightly together. I push that block in from the end against the stamp and the collection of spacers that build up. A little slop here and there between the spacers and the stamp makes the end result look awful.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another tip I have found useful, is after you do your stamping, to draw file down the metal around the edges that has been pushed up during the stamping. File it flush and polish and it will look better than most factory stamping.

BTW, I use 1/16 inch stamps.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure what size to use. For marking action 3/32" or 1/8" (I found a tool maker that has the 1/8" stamps)? For barrels I was planning on using the 3/32" or 1/16". Any suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Alberta Canuck, I don't agree with you on the sizes. The largest I use is 3/32 and they look plenty big on a barrel.

--------------------

Actually, Mr.Pursell, I agree with you. I was just interested in keeping him from using 3/16" stamps. They look about like a Times-Square bulletin Board atop a VW Beetle. I should have said, to never use anything LARGER than 1/8th", it would have been more clear what I had in mind.

Sometimes 1/8th" stamps don't look too bad if on a very heavy varmint barrel and very few letters are punched, but they ARE the largest I ever use for anything.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlp335:
For marking action 3/32" or 1/8" (I found a tool maker that has the 1/8" stamps)? For barrels I was planning on using the 3/32" or 1/16". Any suggestions?

Just curious. What would you be stamping on the receiver?

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Glen,
Very good question. Each year our gun club raffles off a rifle and we like to stamp the gunclubs monogram and the year on the action. Something like "WJR&G 2005".