Find
Notify
Tools

Chapman Safety fixture?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
I just purchased a Chaman safety milling fixture. It is supposed to be made for M98 and the '03 Springfield. How ever the instructions do not show how to use it with '03, it juts gives dimensions for cuts etc.... I assume that the '03 goes into the hole on the right side of the jig other than that I am at a loss on how to use it for the '03. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it back and get a refund. With the refund money get a Wisner jig and Wisner lever kit. They are world's above the Chapman kit. The geometry of the lever is soooo much better and they come pre-hardened, color case hardened to be exact.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
directions come with a chapman kit. I use the chapman jig to cut for wisner's wing which are alot easier to install. You just have the shim the bolt to move the pivot hole. I never knew Jim had a jig for sale. If you need more info call Glen Chapman, he is usually easy to get ahold of at the number in his instructions.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made three differnt fixtures, one for the M98, one for the M93-96, and one for the Springfield 1903. Brownelss dropped them years ago due to lack of sales, and I stopped making them a long time ago as well.

But I just looked, I still have 4 of the Springfield 1903 fixtures that I have not cut up and made into something else.

PM me if anyone interested in them.

James Wisner

Posts: 1453 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
James PM sent

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Mr. Markey,

How do you shim the bolt to get it owork with the Wisner wing?

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ground a washer to the thickness needed, can't remember the exact size but I could mic it out for you.
Don

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
If you could mile it. I would be very appreciative. Were did you put the washer? In the recess under the shroud? Thanks!!

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Previous PM's all answered and items shipped.

I have one fixture left for the 1903 Springfield, and two fixtures left for the 98 Mauser sleeve.

James Wisner

Posts: 1453 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update.

One Mauser 98 fixture left.

James Wisner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take it Jim