New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried lime as a heat sink?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had an old tool and die man tell me he always used powdered lime to protect a part from heat while welding. I tried it, and was completely amazed! I covered a bolt body with it,inside and out,and welded on a new bolt handle. I could touch the bolt body in back of the bolt root, which was covered with lime, right after welding, it was actually cool to the touch. Is this a trick used often and I just never heard of it?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it being mixed with oil as a quench for springs, but not as a heat stop.

Did you make a paste with water?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was forging and doing blacksmithing, I used lime for annealing at times. I would get the part above critical temperature and plung it into a welding rod can full of lime and leave it over night. The lime held the heat quite well and allowed the part to cool very slowly, thus giving me a dead-soft condition for that metal.

The heat transfer coefficient of lime that allowed it to remain at it current temperature for extended times will also allow a cool part to resisit becoming hot.

I also think it was in one of the earlier Gunsmithing Kinks, plus I have read about it in an old gunsmithing text-likely either Dunlap's or Howe's.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Marc stated this has been used for years in anealing. The heat insulating characteristics should work equally well for preventing heat tranfer.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it dry, and as the lime had been outside before I used it, quite chilly. I bet put in the freezer before use would be an excellant idea. I'm sold on it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSJ-

I'm confused as to how you got the lime to stay on the bolt- did you sort of bury it leaving the area you welded exposed?

thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You're making it too complicated. My heat sink is a big bucket of water sitting next to the welding bench. Make a pass and quench it, make a pass and quench it, make a pass and quench it. With practice it is fast, the color never spreads beyond the root, and, you can still shape and finish it easily with a file.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was an old Mann. action, where the bolt handle was part of the safety lug. I just burried it in lime, inside and out. When I got done, a file still wouldnt touch the surface of the lug and 1/4" away the bolt handle filed up nicely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, TSJ. I figured while I had you, I'd get as complete an explanation as I could for reference later.

appreciated.