New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Smith For Win Pre64 70 Barrel work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a pre64 70 that has a cracked front ring through the base mount holes (I acquired it this way) and have a replacement pre64 receiver. I am looking for a good smith that can pull the barrel, refinish the barrel (minor rust in blueing), and fit to replacement receiver. Barrel is not a factory win barrel and not sure of the maker. Any suggestions on a smith to send barreled receiver to that isn't backed up for years. My guy retired and can't find a smith locally that does 70 barrel work.
(257 Robt is cal)
Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find many recommendations once this thread gets some tread.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY admire the work done by Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana. Everything he has done for me has been precise and speedy.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it up, surely there is someone closer.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a pretty straight forward operation to me. The worst that could happen is the barrel would not clock correctly but that could be remedied essily. What caliber is it?. Send it up here or email me for a quote.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns is just a little NE of San Antonio but has a great reputation and a lot closer than Plains, MT.

http://canyonsportingarms.com/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote