THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who was the designer for Win mod 70 stocks.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who is credited with the design of the stocks on many Winchester fifles? I prefer that design to others.I find the design of the stocks on many custom rifles bulky and unattractive.I find the walnut nice,but the shape of the stock does not go in harmony with the shape of the action and the rest of the gun.You know,there are times when a factory rifle looks much nicer than an expensive custom rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the most recent stocks are a Miller design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
USRA retained David Miller has a consultant on the Winchester M70 stock design.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Does David Miller do stockwork?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
David Miller's only designs, which were very loosely used, was the Sporter LT and the Classic Sporter. Both of these were introduced in 1999.

I believe that Leonard Brownell designed Winchester's Featherweight stock, but I'm not for positive.
Perhaps some other folks could shed some light on the subject.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

Mr. Turpin, in his book, claims that Both David Miller and Curt Crum are equally capable of performing all duties on a custom rifle, but that David spends most of his time on metalwork and Curt Crum spends most of his time on stockwork.

So, I suppose the correct thing to say here would be that the design for Winchester stocks came from the David Miller Company.

(but then you already knew that didn't you Gunmaker)

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:

Mr. Turpin, in his book, claims that Both David Miller and Curt Crum are equally capable of performing all duties on a custom rifle, but that David spends most of his time on metalwork and Curt Crum spends most of his time on stockwork.

So, I suppose the correct thing to say here would be that the design for Winchester stocks came from the David Miller Company.

(but then you already knew that didn't you Gunmaker)

You mean there's words written in Turpin's book. I never got much farther than all those glossy pictures. Thought Miller was just a metal smith. Shows what I know. I'm more of a fan of Burgess style metal work so never followed Miller's work much. Not saying he's not good, just not what I'm interested in. Kinda like a brunette/blonde/redhead thing.

I thought Al Lind had something to do with the Winchesters.... Maybe it was just the featherweight.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
I believe that Leonard Brownell designed Winchester's Featherweight stock, but I'm not for positive.

I thought Brownell designed the Ruger #1. Man I'm feeling like a grouse.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:

I thought Brownell designed the Ruger #1. Man I'm feeling like a grouse.

He may have done that one too.....I dunno.

I spoke with David about the stocks for Winchester and he definitely confirmed he did, but said that they really hacked up his original design that he sent them. Their advertisements for the Sporter Classic and Sporter LT mentioned Miller as well.
We kept an eye on their marketing, since we were the ones putting the floorplates on the guns.

Funny thing is.....D'arcy Echols was commisioned to design the stocks before Miller, but they shafted him on an invoice and Miller sold them on his name, which at the time was more noted than D'arcy....

Echols was still a little peeved the last time I spoke to him about that one.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard

That is really interesting considering that David Miller has written a few pieces in which he really talks Mr. Echols up as being one of the quintesential contemporary gunmakers (along with himself, of course).

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Triggerguard

That is really interesting considering that David Miller has written a few pieces in which he really talks Mr. Echols up as being one of the quintesential contemporary gunmakers (along with himself, of course).

D'arcy didn't have any hard feeling towards Miller....quite the opposite. After dealing with both of them, they respect each other's work.

D'arcy was just upset with USRAC.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why did Winchester go to David Miller for a stock design and not someone who only does stocks?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As for Miller's stock lineage, I thought Miller got his start working in Harry Lawson's shop working on stocks.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
As for Miller's stock lineage, I thought Miller got his start working in Harry Lawson's shop working on stocks.

That's exactly right......He's only a couple of blocks down the street from Harry's shop on Ritchie Blvd. in Tucson.

Sterling Davenport also got started out that shop too.

At one time, the Tucson area was packed full of some of the best the US gunmaking had to offer. Montana's flathead valley has had a lot of gunsmiths and barrel makers as well, which after visiting that area a few years ago, I can easily see why a guy who had a love for guns would want to live in an area that's full of things to hunt.

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard1,
NOT 'was packed full' it's still packed full of some of the finest in the business.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today,who would be considered the most experienced stockmakers in the US?