New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth, 500 Jeffery, esthetics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I stumbled upon a Whitworth rifle in 300 Weatherby (at Gunbroker.com) that I purchased last week.

I planned to use it to build a 500 Jeffery, and to my surprise is will hold 3 dummy (500 Jeff) cartridges in the magazine. (The feed rails need about 1mm of metal relieved on each side to feed properly)

Here's the problem: the floorplate is embossed with that pseudo-engraving that Whitworth put on their "Deluxe" models. The same embossed design is on the trigger bow, and also just behind the forward action screw.

Normally I would just replace the floorplate/trigger guard assembly, but that is whole magic of this rifle....the integral magazine box is perfect in its dimensions for the 500 Jeffery.

The floor plate by itself should be easy enough to replace...but that still leaves the embossing on the other 2 areas.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
You got it!? I bid on that but just couldn't justify it.
If it is a Whitworth bottom metal, it is just the same as any other bottom metal. If it was originaly a 375 H and H it will be opened upened the front. You could just get a different bottom metal and have it opened up. Jeffeosso did one for me.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Caballero,

Yeah..that was me bidding.
I ended up paying $460 total.

The magazine box is integral with the bottom metal, but it works so well as it is now (for the 500 Jeffery), that I'd like to keep it.

The floor plate can be replaced just by driving the pin out and fitting a new plate.

It's that damn etching/engraving on the trigger bow that's the issue. The metal isn't particularly thick there, so I am concerned about removing it via surface grinding.

It's always something!

By the way, this appears to be an original Whitworth in 300 Weatherby (from the factory that is), not a conversion from a 375 H&H.
I haven't seen very many in that caliber.
It's almost a shame to canabalize it.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the same trigger bow is used on the Charles Daly rifles and someone- maybe Jeffe had some for sale at one time.
If the engraving is too deep you could maybe have it tigged in and them ground. If simple etching it should polish out without losing too much metal. Just be careful not to create sharp edges.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Get a staddle floorplate from Jim Wisner, they are the cat's meow, really dress up a Mark X.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote