New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bell & Carlson?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw two famous gunsmiths (names witheld to protect the innocent) fondling the latest Bell & Carlson, aluminum bedded, hand laid, (like Mcmillan) stocks at the Shot Show. Coated with your choice of brand name camo, 2 to 4 week delivery. $192 plus $20 for camo. May have to think about this since I need two stocks. Also, Pachmeyer included.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a B&C on my 7mm Mag for about 15 years. Good stocks. I've never had a problem with it. I'm thinking of putting one of their Carbelite's on my Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do they weigh with a pad?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those stocks (Bell & Carlson Medalist). The bedding block really snugs and holds the action. My Howa went from shooting consistent 1 1/4" groups to 1/2" to 5/8" groups. They are very well made with hand laid fiberglass, carbon fiber (graphite), and Kevlar (aramid) fibers. Sweet.

I don't know what it weighs, though. It did knock about 1/4 lb off the rifle. though.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Don, didn't ask about weight. Didn't seem very heavy. The finish was very nice.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW: B&C is talking to Montana about inletting their stocks to fit the M1999

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got the B&C Carbelite in Tan with Black spiderweb on my 7x57 custom and couldn't be happier. The finish looks great and the stock seems pretty stiff. Also the molded in checkering feels really good to my hands.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock better fit a M1999! They are supposed to have a M 70 footprint.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
From an earlier post:

"I have the partial remains of a Bell and Carlson stock finsh stuck to the wall of my shop. It became attached to the wall the very second I hit the stock with my air hose to remove some shavings... I should probably take a rag and wipe it off, but it serves as a reminder of one of the reasons I dislike the Bell and Carlson stock...

Malm"

Update:

After looking at it for several years, I have finally wiped the remaining Bell & Carlson finish from my wall. In keeping with the spirit of open mindedness on this forum and to keep on the good side of Chic, I will withhold further comment until I see what the new stock looks like.
[Big Grin]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
To you guys that have them. Did you bed them? What did you have to do to the stock to get it to shoot? Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a B&C stock from a friend for $50 and since the factory stock that came with my M 70 SS Classic really has no recoil pad I tried the B&C. All I did was use a barrel channel file to open up the stock a tiny bit and then I had to shorten the rifles magazine box some with a file.

I just put it in the stock and it shoots really well. I have it in varmint mode now and am getting small groups with the 120 V Max and a max load. This stock is 2 oz heavier than the factory one at 33 oz but it has a soft recoil pad.

This is a good enough deal for this factory rifle. Since the barrel is not a featherweight I see no reason to go nuts over a lighter stock. The McMillan site says their stocks weight two pounds anyway.

Now Malmborg says the finish comes off. Like Allen said the sky is falling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm: New B&C stocks do look good. Most important to me is, B&C was enthusiastic, acted like they cared about my business, McMillan, acted like they think I have to buy from them & I should be happy to wait 4 months to get a stock. Asked McMillan about new camo coating & they said they tried it 10 years ago & it was no good, would they not think technology may have improved in the last 10 years? I tkink McMillan has too much of everyone elses money to need mine!

posted Hide Post
Savage99
Hey in that 257 Roberts Varmit rifle. The 120 grain bullet is ok but try the 87 grain. Maybe this why you do not like this caliber?????

Just kidding Savage99 [Big Grin]

Posts: 19 | Location: Cottonwood CA | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two friends of mine have them.One has one on a rem 700 in 270 and it shoots well.The other one went on a 338 and it cracked in the recoil lug area.It was replaced and it cracked again and I do not know the present status.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 99Fan1:
Savage99
Hey in that 257 Roberts Varmit rifle. The 120 grain bullet is ok but try the 87 grain. Maybe this why you do not like this caliber?????

Just kidding Savage99 [Big Grin]

The 120 gr load is for pests. The Eastern woodchuck is one tough animal and only if it were a 257 RR would I be loaded for bear!

You see the cartridge is a 7 MM WSM and 71 grs of powder should be giving it 3400 fps. You would not blame me if you have seen the teeth on those woodchucks.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I also have 2 of the B&C stocks. 1 on a 700 long action in tan web. That stock took a bit of fitting and bedding. Have no complaints with it and would do it agian. The other I just bought for my Savage 112 bvss in black web. It is pillar bedded and didnt take as much time to fit, just a little sanding in the barrel channel. Have'nt shot it yet so dont now if it needs bedding. Thought about filling the forend cavities with glass bed to stiffen it up for that 26" lead pipe out front.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
What do they weigh with a pad?

........ I purchased the B&C Medalist to replace the factory tupperware on my 300RUM; the stock weighs exactly 36 ounces equipped with the Decelerator pad. For proper fit, I needed to clearance the barrel channel a bit and remove some material to allow the bolt to close all the way. The literatue states that bedding is not recommended for the bedding block equipped stock. Since this rifle shot .7's and .8's previously in the tupperware stock, I expect it to shoot as well in this stock. The factory stock had the raised pad (for pressure on the barrel) removed so I wanted to duplicate that no barrel contact would take place. Will shoot with new stock tomorrow for the first time 2/16 and will post results. I believe B&C make a quality product for a good price and they are available, unlike McMillans. KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Now Malmborg says the finish comes off. Like Allen said the sky is falling.

Actually Savage99 you misread that. That was a replay from an EARLIER POST from November. No "sky falling" reference here!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
To you guys that have them. Did you bed them? What did you have to do to the stock to get it to shoot? Ron

Nothing. I had to add a little bit of clearance around the bolt stop. B&C strongly recomended that I leave the pressure pad on the forend. In their experience, Howas with sporter contour barrels shoot better that way. Well, the way my rifle shoots, I see no reason to doubt them, nor to remove the pad. My stock came with a luminum bedding block, and it would probably repeat zero better after R&R the action if I glass bedded it. However, once the action is in, I hardly, if ever, take it out again, so I'm not going to bother.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one for my pre-64 a couple of weeks ago. They sent me a stock for a Browning A bolt so I sent it back. I liked the looks and feel of the stock. My rifle shoots good now. I wanted to make it more weather resistant. My gun is in original condition. I understand they are easy to install and even have the hole for the front stock screw. I can't wait to get it. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a B&C on my 358 Winchester Model 70. I had the gun rebarreled from a 308 by Shilen. The gun shoots well with this stock. I did have it pillar bedded. My only complaint is that the pistol grip seems thicker than it needs to be. I just bought a H.S Precision for my 257 Roberts ADL. I haven't put it on yet.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a B&C Carbelite stock on a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen. No problems. I bedded the action and floated the barrel.

Posts: 59 | Location: Upstate NY USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote