New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 x 57 conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Preduceze 44 (Yugo 98 Mauser ) that I am thinking of turning into a knock-around rifle.

What calibers lend themselves for a basis of conversion without a great deal of hassle? Am looking for something .284 to .358 cal.

Is this action suitable for the purpose?

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a better cartridge for a knock around gun than the 8x57. Is the barrel worn out? It's been my experience that the Yugo refurbs (provided they are still in good shape) are good shooters.

Anything with a .473" casehead can be made to work. I don't consider any to be what most consider drop-in. In other words, don't expect to screw ona barrel and go. You'll want to spend the time (money) to ensure it feeds correctly.you might also want to identify exactly which model you have. The Preduceze 44 factory made and or refurbed various models. if your's is an intermediate length action your cartridge choice will be limited to what fits in the shorter magazine well.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I can't think of a better cartridge for a knock around gun than the 8x57.

thumb X2 roger fishing

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Mike sez.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allot of those military 8mm barrels, if not screwed up, are better than factory sporting barrels.

The 8mm can be loaded up to 30-06 levels or downloaded to 30-30 levels.

Are you a handloader?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know there aren't any flies on the 8 X 57...got my first boar with this rifle years ago. Sometime back I got a synthetic stock for it and put a Timney on it....just don't like the looks of the stepped barrel.

Maybe just get a new Adams & Bennet barrel in 8mm or have this one turned down?

Your thoughts.

Thanks

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's one done by a member of AR, and I've always liked just about everything about it, including the barrel:

a clean, straight-forward rifle.

I'd like to duplicate something like this, maybe with a scout mount on the existing rear sight base... and carry my 8mm ammo in stripper clips Cool

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tin can:
here's one done by a member of AR, and I've always liked just about everything about it, including the barrel: thumbMe too! That's a beaut

I'd like to duplicate something like this, maybe with a scout mount on the existing rear sight base...QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------

Have two scouts in 8mmx57 just as you descibed and two like that in 7mmx57. Hot Core keeps trying to get them from me. LIEEekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and two like that in 7mmx57

now that would be ideal.

I've considered, during odd phases of the moon, buying a Mitchell Mauser, just so I could start the project off with a clean example.

On the subject of scout rifles, I believe Col. Cooper said they should have a bipod, a scope, use commonly available ammunition, and have removable magazines. I don't agree with the magazine idea, because you can lose them (using stripper clips is a good idea, IMO), and I never understood not having iron sights on a scout.

An Israeli '98 in .308 would be a good start.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
These were my first two projects. both stocks are gone now.
Royal stocks, rust blue (pilkington), custom bases,

Walnut/ebony stock in 8mm Yugo.
Maple/bubinga stock in 6.5

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rich, can you give some detail on the scout mounts?

those are two nice examples- I like the bolt treatment on the swede.

thanks.

-I like the scout deal, too, if there's a nice crest on the ring that doesn't have to be drilled.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The yugo mount was easy. I ground down the sight base till it was flat and added the rear hole after taking off the flat spring and sight ladder. The base is from the parts drawer and isn't even a flat bottom number.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
appreciated, thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornRich, those are really top shelf. thumbroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
and two like that in 7mmx57

An Israeli '98 in .308 would be a good start.

The .308 doen't even come close to the versatility of the 7mmx57 or 8mmx57 unless it is done with a std. length action, a fast enough twist and a lot of throat.JMHO. BOOMroger lefty

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
here's one done by a member of AR, and I've always liked just about everything about it, including the barrel:

a clean, straight-forward rifle.

I'd like to duplicate something like this, maybe with a scout mount on the existing rear sight base... and carry my 8mm ammo in stripper clips Cool

Thanks. I kinda like that rifle too. With the open sights ot shoots like this:

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
There is not a thing wrong with the 8x57. But if the barrel is good and you wanted something different you could always rechamber to 8-06. Just a thought.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote