THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester Model 1897 compared with IAC Model 97?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 1897 compared with IAC Model 97?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Excluding difference between decimal inch and metric specifications, are parts and [their] functions of solid frame 12 gauge Winchester Model 1897 and IAC Model 97 identical? I specify solid frame Winchester because IAC 97 is/was available in USA only as a 12 gauge solid frame shotgun.

Am I correct that the reason IAC 97s cannot be retro-fitted with Winchester 1897 barrel take-down parts is the difference between decimal inch and metric specifications?
If there are parts or parts' functioning differences exclusive of decimal inch versus metric specifications, please identify them.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have one of the IAC 97s and have shot the crap out of it; works very well. Functionally they are the same. Only way to see if all the parts are interchangeable is to get one and do a dimensional comparison for every part. I don't have time for that.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's unlikely action parts or barrels interchange. I am interested in whether or not they work the same way in the details, such as how IAC's slide release function compares with 1897's with hammer cocked, also hammer half-cocked, and other stuff.

To have shot an IAC that much, would I be accurate to anticipate you are a cowboy action competitor?
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have one of the IAC 97s and have shot the crap out of it; works very well. Functionally they are the same. Only way to see if all the parts are interchangeable is to get one and do a dimensional comparison for every part. I don't have time for that.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote