New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need P14 gunsmith info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a P14 action that I want to build into a 500 Jeffery and I'm in need of some info.
Have the ears ground down to flush with the reciver, but I'm unsure on how to finish contouring. Does anyone have a picture or a Website where I can see what it is supposed to look like finished?. I also got a Magnum length mag box and have it fitted. Now I need a follower that will fit it. I'm wondering if a Magnum Mauser follower would work. Any suggestions?.
Will I need to attach a recoil lug?. The one on the action looks a little anemic, if it is even a recoil lug. Will a barrel mounted lug be enough, or will I need to attach one to the action.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Robgunbuilder can probably give you more info then most here (including me), but I'll pitch in with my two cents worth until he shows up. I usually grind the receiver to the same radius as a Rem 700 action. That way, you can fit 700 bases if you want, it's also what the factory did with the 30 express and the 720 (factory sporter versions of the P14/17). Brownells used to sell a magnum follower for the Enfields, I don't know if they still do, if not check with PME. I've never attached a second lug to the action, but a barrel lug and reinforcing bolts are a great idea when you're working on a boomer. Hope this helps, take care. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<bongo500>
posted
Efryman, I have some pictures of my P17s, but don't know how to post them. I will find them and send it to you. You don't need a new mag box unless you want one, You can just cut the old down ( I'm talking about P17) and change the front and rear metal sheets, weld all togheter again and you are in business. Buy a CZ 550 follower and it will work after some work on the rails.

Bongo

<bongo500>
posted
Efryman, I forgot to tell you about the recoil lug. Don't forget to add a big(silver soldered)
recoil lug under the barrel, about 3 inches from the action lug, make about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. Did you get my photos?

Bongo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bongo. The pictures were just what I was looking for. I think most people on this board post their pictures on Hunting-pictures.comweb page.
I got a new magbox for $8.50, so it wasn't a great expense. I will try the CZ 550 follower.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Eferyman- A 500 Jeffery should work just fine on a 1917 Enfield. You may need to use a P-14 bolt, however.Of course you know that BOTH THE bottom of the receiver and the rails need to be machined at about 15 degrees FROM vertical TO MAKE A 500 Jeffery work.? You will need to use a 3/8 round nose carbide bit to accomplish this and make sure you have all the clearance cuts made for your magazine. I typically take three cartridges and hold them together with a rubber band then make a mag box to these exact dimensions. I then modify the receiver for this magazine box. Usually, I can modify the stock follower to fit. Otherwise it will never feed properly. The feed ramp will also needs to be reshaped on a mill. As far as a second recoil lug goes, it's an absolute necessity. If you want I can make you one to exactly fit your barrel, Mine cost $50 uS. I think Dan Belise covered how to reshape the reciever quite properly-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<bongo500>
posted
Efryman, have a look under the thread: Triggers for P17, and you will find a few photos from my 450 Cambaco. I hope some more will be added.

Bongo

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Eric,

John Ricks is building my 500 on a P-17, and I should hopefully be seeing it within a month. Unfortunately John has temporarily put a hold on taking any new work while he catches up.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

We will have to link up at the range one of theses days. I'll probably go Saturday or Sunday to test out some 358 Norma loads. BTW, did you buy that last box of 500 Jeffery brass at Great Northern Guns?. Went there a couple of days ago to pick it up, and it was gone!!.