New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 721 bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of a friend inherited his dads 721 .270 minus the bolt. Will a M700 LA bolt fit the action as these seem to be fairly common? If not, any suggestions as to what can be done. He has tried all the normal parts suppliers.
Thanks.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 700 LA bolt should fit BUT, you may have to alter the slot where the root of the bolt handle fits into the receiver to accomodate the difference in the shape of the bolt. You absolutely will have to check the headspace with the GO and NO GO gauges to make sure that it is safe. If it closes on the NO GO, you will have to have the barrel set back and if it won't close on the GO gauge but will close on an empty chamber, you'll have to have the chamber deepened. If it won't close on the empty chamber, the barrel extension and the chamber will have to be altered (deepened). At any rate, if you can get a 700 LA bolt within reason, it will salvage a nice rifle or at least give you the action to make another caliber.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now try finding a 700 LA bolt!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chiocca Machine
3383 Industrial Blvd.
Bethel Park, Pa

advertises in rifle magazine , makes custom replacement bolt bodies for Rem 700.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some extra bolts and I'm pretty sure that I have a 721 with the correct boltface.

If intersted, email me at jmcmunn@imbris.net

Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The response here is always great, thanks all. I had seen 700 bolts on e-bay so that is what got me going on this. OMJ you will have e-mail from me asap.
C.G.B.