New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchase guns in Germany?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know If long guns can be purchased by American citizens (US military) in Germany and then brought back to the US?
Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. You need to fill out a form 6 (on the ATF site) and send to the ATF for approval. When they send it back to you, make sure you have it with the firearm when you come thru customs.

I don't remember if you can purchase the firearm directly from the German shop, or if they have to transfer it to a US Rod & Gun club first.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1972 when I was in Germany. Bought two from the Wiesbaden Gun Club. Both Sako's. As they didn't have one caliber I wanted. Made a trip to Sako's plant and took the tour. Impressive!

Picked one out and they shipped it to the gun club, I couldn't buy it direct as I was in service at the time.

After filling out all the papers and getting the guns. I made plywood crate for each one in the service club and banded it five ways, then shipped it home instead of trying to keep track of it and importing in person.

The one came right over within two weeks. The other was a full three months before it showed up. Had been opened, stock scratched up and the paper wrapping left off. They also just taped the crate back together instead of banding as I had it. Both were mailed directly to my grandparents house.

Things have surely changed during these 30 years.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in 1972 when I was in Germany. Bought two from the Wiesbaden Gun Club.

Back when I was stationed in Germany, you could buy a Mannlicher/Schoenauer at the Rod & Gun Club for $120.00, a Belgian Browning Superposed for the same price, and a Model 70 Winchester for $75.00!

Yes indeed, times have definitely changed.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Germany in the 90's (Army) you could buy rifles, ahotguns, and pistols from the Rod and Gun Clubs no problem. Officers could fill out the USAREUR Perchase and storage paperwork and approval page themselves. Enlisted soldiers had to get their commanders approval. Import back was via BATF Form 6 as already mentioned. However, every gun listed on a single Form 6 had to be in the case with the original "approved" form. No photo copies. So if you buy several either figugure out ahead of time the packing arrqangement or simply list one gun per form.

It was possible at the time for me to buy a rifle, shotgun or Drilling on the Economy but I think that had more to do with my having my German Hunting Licence (Jagtschein). I could buy in Germany and Austria for sure. Not sure about the other countries though.

Now thing may have and most probably have changed since then.

One more thing ... if you plan to carry them back on the flight home DO NOT clear customs in New York City. Fly elsewhere to clear customs even if it costs a little more. You do not want to clear customs only to deal with draconian gun laws in New York City that might confiscate your guns. Because once you clear customs you will have to recheck your bags for the connecting flight. Not something I was willing to do in New York City. I cleared Customs in Atlanta and then flew to Mineapolis.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote