New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belted mag in Mauser 98 - feeding problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm noticing a feeding problem in my 416 Taylor -- the front of the second round (coming from the left side of the stack) tends to pop up as I eject the first round. If it doesn't pop up too far, it can still be chambered sometimes.

I'm guessing I need to slowly remove a little bit more metal underneath the left front rail (the front of the cartridge is being pushed too far to the right as it comes up, and popping free of the rail too early). But, I just wanted to check before I actually do this, and see if someone knows better.

BTW, it is the original Mauser bottom metal, standard spring, and PME belted mag follower narrowed to fit the magazine. The magazine itself has been opened up to its maximum possible dimensions, side to side and front to back.

Thanks for any help,
Todd

Edited: I should add that the receiver has already been relieved, by a gunsmith, to accomodate belted mags. Also, the capacity is 2+1.

[ 06-11-2002, 02:18: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into the same problem when I converted a .30-06 to .300 Win Mag. I corrected the problem by removing metal from under both feed rails. This will allow the round to be less steeply stacked.

I used a Dremel with a grind stone. Go carefully but I took off quite a bit of metal before the feeding was totally reliable.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats the problem with those belts. Suspenders would be better ...

or a 404/375 Saeed, 404/416 ( Dakota? ), .404?

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
The magazine box is a little narrow. First try rounding the ridge on the follower. The object to allow the stack to use as much of the magazine as possible. Then start on both rails, with sand paper not a dremel. If you're not really good with a dremel you can make a mess of things pretty quickly. Round the rails from the bottom taking off all burrs and machine marks. Check the feeding. Now start to open the rails at the front checking continually.

D'arcy Echols also suggested that the correct tension of the follower spring has significant impact. Try loading the follower by hand. You may find the weapon feeds better with less tension than with more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Todd.
I have the exact same problem with mine M98. [Mad]
Mine is also a .416 Taylor.
The problem with mine is that; when the first round is fired and I extract the case, I seems that the rim on the first case is touching the belt on no.2 and it then pops up in the rear. I also have a teory about removing some steel underneath the rail so the cartridges are lying more underneath. [Confused]
But I havent had the nerve to do it yet, I'm afraid I'm wrong. And it's very hard to put the steel back. [Eek!]
I think I'll just handle it over to a smith that have wide experiece with M98's.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sort of thing isn't a home fix...Send it to a REAL GOOD gunsmith that specializes in big bores. It's not that expensive...Dennis Olsen in Plains, Mt. is very good at making them feed, as it our own John Ricks. Ricks is my no. 1 choice.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray.
Thats exactly my thoughts to. I dont belive I'll go over to the states with it, though. [Big Grin]
But I'll find a experienced gunsmith here in Norway. [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Long post coming up......

Mausers that get converted to handled belted magnums almost always end up with feeding problems, unless the gunsmith who's doing the work really understands his craft and can execute the proper solutions - most can't, and most don't!

The problem is NOT the fact that the cartridges are belted - the problem is that certain gunsmiths simply don't understand the basic concepts of proper magazine dimensions that Paul Mauser pioneered more than 100 years ago, which is that each class of cartridge requires a magazine box of the correct dimensions which will allow the cartridges to reside at the proper stack angle in the box. This also requires a magazine follower of the proper dimensions, a follower spring of the proper tension, feed rails and loading ports properly altered, etc.

The all-time classic dumb move is to retain the original magazine box, follower, etc., then grind away at feed rails, etc., with a Dremel tool and expect it all to work properly with belted magnums. I will guarantee you that a magazine box that was originally designed for the 7.65 Argentine cartridge (for example) is NOT of the correct dimensions to feed belted magnums properly!

Some years ago, one of my friends had a very fancy, very expensive .338 Winchester built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. The gunsmith who performed the metalwork opened the loading port, altered the feed rails and opened the bolt face, but retained the original Mauser magazine box and follower (correctly dimensioned for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser cartridge, but NOT the .338 Winchester!) and that rifle is a fancy, expensive, disfuntional nightmare as a result. When you open the bolt, the first thing you notice is that the original magazine follower juts up into the bolt raceway, and if you work the bolt hard and fast, often the entire contents of the magazine box eject out through the loading port all at once! If you work the bolt slowly, feeding is sluggish and rough..... Pretty rifle, though!

In contrast, one of my other friends has a .338 Winchester built on a 1909 Argetine Mauser action by a riflesmith of uncommon skill who really knows what he's doing. This rifle features a special five-round drop-box magazine that was crafted to the correct dimensions for short belted magnums, plus a properly dimensioned magazine follower and spring. This rifle feeds like butter, and without a hitch ever time - fast, slow, upside down - it doesn't matter.

Obtaining a properly-sized aftermarket magazine follower, then grinding it to fit the wrong box is an almost futile exercise. You need that follower alright, but you also need a proper box, etc., not to mention the know-how to adjust and install everything and do it right. One part is of little good without the other, but if you grind that aftermarket follower properly, at least it won't protrude up into the bolt raceway as on my friend's rifle!

Solutions that WORK:

I believe that Ted Blackburn makes proper replacement boxes and followers for Mauser 98 actions, and these are available for anyone to purchase. These are not cheap, but it's the only solution that really starts getting to the root of the problem. D'Arcy Echols is an absolute wizard when it comes to proper feeding, and he creates his own boxes and followers that are properly and mathematically dimensioned out of solid, heat-treated stainless steel. These hold an extra round (four-down), yet they are no deeper than a standard box. Unfortunately, these are only available on his complete custom rifles. So to me, Blackburn's product is the only solution that really makes sense for a pre-existing condition, or else for a new project that won't be executed by a riflesmith who makes his own replacement parts.

I'm so adament about proper feeding that my philosophy is just this simple: If a gunmaker isn't bright enough, educated enough, or talented enough to install proper magazines and followers when required, he isn't going to be making me a rifle - pure and simple.

That's why Model 70 actions that were originally fabricated at the factory to handle belted magnums can be a much more sensible and cheaper alternative as the foundation for a controlled-feed, custom .338, 7mm mag., etc. They still need some work, but they'll usually functional acceptably with a minimum of alteration and investment.

I know that a lot of this stuff doesn't sound pretty, inexpensive, or convenient, but it's the truth!

AD

[ 06-15-2002, 18:59: Message edited by: allen day ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That problem is caused by your gunsmith opening up the rails too far.

It can usually be corrected by using a different follower. I used a model 70 follower with the top ridge milled down at a 45 degree angle to clear the bolt when closed. This fixed the problem.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good post from Allan and spot on....I use Blackburn boxes and triggers on most of my guns.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray. Good job Allen. Now, would Mr. Blackburn have any kind of website? Phone number maybe? Thanks. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I was looking at some new M-70 s in a showroom and , I'll be danged if it doesn't appear that Winchester uses the same basic magazine box for everything from 06 cases to belted mags to even 300 Ultra ! How in hell can a 06 box work ccorrectly with 300 Ultra cases ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote