THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Roboring old mauser barrels: Flussstahl (Fluid) and Gussstahl (Cast) steels

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roboring old mauser barrels: Flussstahl (Fluid) and Gussstahl (Cast) steels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering having a couple of old mauser barrels rebored. One is marked "Gussstahl Krupp Essen", and the other is marked "Flussstahl Krupp Essen". Both barrels are chambered in 8x57J (.318 groove) and would likely be punched out to 9x57 an/or 9.3x62. Which of these barrels would likely wear faster? I would only be shooting standard pressure loads. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
talk to danny at www.cutrifle.com

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It would take a lifetime of normal use to wear out either in one of those calibers. The old barrels were damaged by corrosive primers and neglect much more than steel composition.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a octagon to round .318 barrel (worn out, bad headspace), rebored to 35 Whelan when LaBounty was still in business. He did a great job. I think this is still very high quality barrel metal. Agree that it would be very hard to shoot out the re-bored barrel. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I had a octagon to round .318 barrel (worn out, bad headspace), rebored to 35 Whelan when LaBounty was still in business. He did a great job. I think this is still very high quality barrel metal. Agree that it would be very hard to shoot out the re-bored barrel. Bob

One of these two barrels is half-n-half as well. 20.25". I'm thinking 9x57 in a Mauser type "M"configuration. I bought a .416 caliber blank from Dan Pedersen. I'll have him do the rebore. I hear the fellow that bought out cliff is doing great work, though.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle was first planned as a 9x57 shooting .358 bullets, but Cliff found headspace excessive to we went to 35 Whelen.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ColoradoMatt, check PM. Goat

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.