New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lott pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some pics of a P-14 actioned 458 Lott -- still 'in the rough.' I'm still fitting the barrel band and NECG Masterpiece front sight. It has a quasi-Douglas #5 contour (slightly less taper, muzzle is about .750) -- the rib is a Dakota blank fitted for a Douglas #5. Stock is plain but very heavy English walnut.

-
Right side

-
Top / right side

-
Left side / quarter rib

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, you are getting very prolific. Hard to keep up with you. You also are not afraid to bite off things like skeleton grip caps, quarter ribs. Great attitude and wonderful work, keep it up.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Chic. Just so's you don't think I'm only into new guns, here's a 98/22 I 'refurbished' in between Mauser and Enfield sporter projects:

-

-

It was the typical dirty, grungy, no bluing, lackluster stock 98/22 you find at Dunham's or Big 5, with some promising fiddleback in the stock. The stock was cleaned up, un-dented (steam), dyed, and refinished, and the metal rust blued.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, Mauser pics are rather small, oh well you get the picture.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Todd - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Todd - please post pictures of your completed masterpiece soon.

Good shooting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bolt handle did you use on the Lott? Make it yourself? It is one of the few I have seen which I think are long enough on DGR's.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle is a Talley. My 'smith chucked it up in his lathe, and turned the stub back as far as he could to get it long enough. The way he normally does it sounds like they end up shorter, but I wanted to retain the bolt locking safety feature. It seems like I will be able to work the bolt plenty fast enough, once I get the bolt raceway polished and slicked up. I do wish I had used something with a bigger ball on the end, like PME used to sell -- it seems a little small to me.

Thanks for the compliments. I didn't mention, and you can't see, the second lug on the barrel. When the stock is finished, it will have front and rear crossbolts, plus a Mauser style oversized pillar front and rear.

Does anyone use a third crossbolt behind the rear action screw on Enfields? Seems like this is where it would split, it if was going to happen. I may epoxy a threaded rod in there, and camouflage it with grain matched walnut plugs.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got up early, and spent the morning fitting the NECG front sight, and the Talley barrel band swivel base. I thought I might find the limits of stretching steel with a ballpeen hammer, but not. The sight was a .724" band, and the barrel ended up ~.750 - .760" -- gunsmith snuck that little surprise in, I had planned on .725" at the muzzle and had already purchased and modified the sight. The Talley band was .830" and fits a part of the barrel that is a little greater than .860"

If you look closely at this barrel next to my 416 Taylor, which is .725", you can just see a smidgeon of difference. Can't hurt in a 458 -- I'm just glad I didn't split the bands.

Todd

Edited: I guess attaching the pic would be nice...
 -

[ 04-03-2003, 23:07: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]