Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wood stock
 Login/Join

posted
a couple of years ago I was caught in a heavy rainstorm and my model 70 was drenched; when at home I removed the barrel and action to dry it out; removed firing pin etc. reoiled firing pin after three days and reassembled barrel action; today, the hinged floor plate will not open up; I suspect the wood swelled and I don't know if I'm capable to remove the swelled wood or if I should take it to a gunsmith; should the inside of the gunstock be coated with a stain or sealant to prevent this from happening again?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 - Check the latch to see if it has rusted in. Oil as needed.

#2 - With the two-piece bottom metal, I have found it is necessary to adjust the trigger portion(with the floorplate latch) while screwing it on. You can move it a bit fore and aft to allow the latch to work properly. If that doesn't do it proceed with the 'smith.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice there!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but be carefull with that adjustment as too much play, and if its a big bore especially, you will have cartridges all over your feet from release due to recoil....Ive seen this happen more than dozen times, even one of the guns I built for a friend did this in a 404 Jefferys, had to replace the original spring with one a tad stronger.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote