New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loop swivels...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a VZ 24 actioned rifle in 404 Jefferys. AR member Christrees at WWG cut me a 95% inletted XX walnut stock from a blank I got from him last fall. The metalwork is complete other than fitting the three leaf (one fixed, two folding) Express Rear Sight with Island Base, and H&H style Ramp Front Sight. I could be spending one or more evenings sitting in a Leopard Blind in RSA so a high-viz front bead is a necessity.

It is getting ready to send to my stocker, and Chris cut two raised rectangles, one on the for end, and one on the rear of the butt stock at my request. The idea arose after after looking at a custom mauser with the same "bumps" that had loop swivels. The builder had hollowed the "bumps" and inletted the loops to a snug fit of the swivels. He had then pinned the loops loosely using brass pins visible on either side.

My question for you all is: would you go the pinned route, or use the Machine Screw Stud and Nut (front) and Long Woodscrew (rear)?

thanks to all,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use duct tape.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised you're putting the front swivel on the fore end and not the barrel, considering the rifle's calibre.

However, if it must go on the wood, you might consider some protection to stop it whacking you in the hand under recoil.

Forty years ago I saw a stock design that had a rudimentary schnabel protruding from the forend about three inches back from the tip. The swivel was positioned ahead of that.

Posts: 5033 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing, Sambar. A front sling swivel on the forestock for such a rifle simply isn't cricket.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I thought the same thing, Sambar. A front sling swivel on the forestock for such a rifle simply isn't cricket.

Not to mention tacky.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Use duct tape.

Funny

Or bailing wire

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a shooting glove made of energy absorbing foam ! wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously...a pinned stud could have a problem staying IN the stock under recoil. Even inletted well and a firm pin in the pad there is too much pressure on the pin to hold well..IMO. I would use the double nutted inletted stud on the front and the standard two screw inletted stud on the back.

For several years the island stud fad road heavy on custom gun makers in an attempt to show off their detailing skills. A mentor of mine, Darwin Hensley, was a master at detail work on a gunstock. I could never get to like an island sling stud....but my patterns have them included just in case a client wants them. They do look neat when well done.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes use a penned stud--just don't get around any mares in heat.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Dennis.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are doing. Do you have any pictures. I tried looking up 'loop swivels' to no avail and cannot find a reference in Brownells. You speak of raised portions of I assume wood on butt and forearm with loops fitting 'IN' the raised portion. For the life I can't figure it out and get a mind picture of it. As far as high viz front sights all my big bores have red or green fluorescent on them and I really like it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Page 20 of the NECG catalog. Oval shaped, with two small round segments on the bottom. They are drilled, and a small pin holds them in the pads on the stock. Imagine a domino on each end of your rifle stock, cut out for these loops.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any pictures.

www.necgltd.com

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I don´t find those swivel mounts from NECG cataloque but I have used these many years without any problem:

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter - Thanks for the reference,found it and understand what you are referencing. While I have seen them on front of Mannlicher Schoenaur fullstocks don't believe I have ever seen them on buttstock. On the M-S carbines I have had they went thru the complete forearm width and so had quite a bit of strength for the mounting screw ( in mine there was a headed screw with recess in one side of swivel and threads in other side of swivel) to depend on. Cannot visualize such an attachment point on buttstock. I can imagine the raised portion as I have seen some swivel bases mounted on pedestals of wood on the butt but never what you are referencing. Would have to see it before I would feel comfortable using it to carry a weapon. When it comes to stocks I'm quite flexible in the design and don't think every idea was used by the British during their early years. When I was building rifles I was not reluctant at all about using an idea from another rifle in one of my own as I have had very few absolutely original ideas in stockmaking. In fact all my big bores have the follower modified like David Miller does on his rifles. He showed me exactly how to do it without the least reluctance. I'd sure like to see a picture of it when you get it done.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the M-S carbines I have had they went thru the complete forearm width and so had quite a bit of strength for the mounting screw

There on barrel is soldered ring where the screw goes through too so stock do not have any stress of bending.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Not to mention tacky.

Its Interesting to note that owners so often go to all sorts of fuss to have their classic African cartridge chambered M98 rifle
conform to all sorts of nostalgic traditions in stock style/features,barrel contour,express sights,rust blue,etc
...yet so often will fit a M70 style 3 pos. safety...with rarely-if ever a frowning comment from admirers.

Surely a swivel base positioned on the for-end is no more blasphemous.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Not to mention tacky.

Its Interesting to note that owners so often go to all sorts of fuss to have their classic African cartridge chambered M98 rifle
conform to all sorts of nostalgic traditions in stock style/features,barrel contour,express sights,rust blue,etc
...yet so often will fit a M70 style 3 pos. safety...with rarely-if ever a frowning comment from admirers.

Surely a swivel base positioned on the for-end is no more blasphemous.

Are you saying that a 3pos safety changes the aesthetics of a rifle as much as much as moving the sling mount from the barrel to the fore-end? Give me a break.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBRown , maybe you need explained to you the British idiom of "I say, old chap, that's just not cricket" when it comes to British period styled 404J Mausers.

IF a for-end mounted swivel aint considered cricket, I can assure you a 3 position M70 style safety definitely aint cricket either.
IF a person was building a true period authentic 4o4J Mauser, It would have neither a for-end swivel, nor an M70 style 3 pos.safety.

Harry Selbys famous .416 Mauser, at one stage had it orig. shroud removed and a modern 3 pos. unit fitted,
only to have it later removed and orig. mauser shroud refitted.....now thats cricket! .... clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple done this way, but not this recoil level a cartridge.

I appreciate all you chiming in. I believe it will look "proper" when finished, and not bite the hand that feeds it (literally).

Six weeks and I should know.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS,
Not everyone is a stickler for tradition....

look at this Echols M70-404J ,

and this other name M98 404J below;

Some very well respected & knowledgeable rifle builders position the swivel on the for-end for good reason.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
cheapies

Posts: 6446 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am building a VZ 24 actioned rifle in 404 Jefferys. AR member Christrees at WWG cut me a 95% inletted XX walnut stock from a blank I got from him last fall. The metalwork is complete other than fitting the three leaf (one fixed, two folding) Express Rear Sight with Island Base, and H&H style Ramp Front Sight. I could be spending one or more evenings sitting in a Leopard Blind in RSA so a high-viz front bead is a necessity.

It is getting ready to send to my stocker, and Chris cut two raised rectangles, one on the for end, and one on the rear of the butt stock at my request. The idea arose after after looking at a custom mauser with the same "bumps" that had loop swivels. The builder had hollowed the "bumps" and inletted the loops to a snug fit of the swivels. He had then pinned the loops loosely using brass pins visible on either side.

My question for you all is: would you go the pinned route, or use the Machine Screw Stud and Nut (front) and Long Woodscrew (rear)?

thanks to all,

Rich

so, you are going to use a .404J with open sights to hunt leopard from a blind in RSA. that should be interesting....i don't think a hi-viz front bead will be as important as a good scope. and the front swivel should be on a barrel band for that rifle, IMHO.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13269 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote