THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finish reamer a shot chamber 260 to 260imp?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am starting a M98 project and would like to know if a finish reamer would be the right choice on a new barrel that is short chambered in 260?

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The title is supposed to be Short chamber not shot. oops

One other question is good gunsmithing books. I have seen some sugestions as of lately but cant find the posts that had them so any good sugestions on books?

Thanks

Dean

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Finish reamer is good.

Headspace to +.004. You'll need to be careful indicating the bore true...don't trust the short chamber..... and use a rigid reamer holder until you get deep enough for the pilot to engage.

Go SLOW until you get good support with the pilot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Slow is good. No race here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmithing by Dunlop -- very good. Lots of 'old-time' hints and some amusing prices (Mauser action completely ready for sporter use, $25).

Are you using a lathe or T-handle?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I am going to do some reading before I do anything. My plan though is to use the lathe. Any tip's?

Thanks for the Book tip. I have a few on the way and that is one of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack didn't you mean -.004 headspace?
RAy

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
m1 carbine---

Well dang it!!! That's the FIRST time I've ever forgotten something. ...... I think.... [Wink] They say the memory is the second thing to go.......

I forgot what was first. [Smile]

You're right the headspace is .004 *shorter* than GO. -.004