Find
Notify
Tools

An elementray note regarding the cheekpiece
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I was at a 'smiths shop today dropping off a shotgun for some work. I notice that on both the M70 Classic I own as well as the CZ 375 when I shoulder the weapons, my dominant left eye (LH shooter) is high and to the right of the scope so I have to move around to get on target. My friend had me shoulder a RH M70 with neutral cast and voila! I was only high above the scope.

So, what is the point of the cheekpiece? Since the cheek contacts and rests against the top of the comb I can only deduce that my cheekpiece pushes my face away and thus leaves my eye off-center.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
When a stock has cast-off to set the butt in the proper part of the shoulder, the cheekpiece brings the eye back in line with the bore and sights. The size of the cheekpiece should be relative to the individual's cheek size and the amount of cast-off. Granted, factory stocks with little or no cast-off and a cheekpiece can set the eye too far off-center. So does my fat cheek, for that matter, lol. That makes them mostly cosmetic on a factory stock unless your just lucky to fit one.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that makes a hell of a lot of sense. thanks!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote