New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM repeater build w/DBM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not seen any builds like this one on the forum so I thought I'd share. I already built a 7mm WSM F-class rifle and I wanted to build a multipurpose 7mm WSM rifle that's light enough to carry around a bit. The intended use would be to hunt with as well as plink steel at 1500+m and maybe attend a few F-class matches. I didn't really have a weight or min/max length goal, just something a bit more practical than the first 7mm built to the 10kg F-class rules. If it ends up being too light and the heavy loads beat me up too much I'll look into adding a brake or a suppressor down the road to aide in recoil management.

General specs so far:
Pierce short action custom receiver (similar to a remington SA, except straight)
Jewell trigger
custom 416 stainless 20 minute scope base, inspired by Mil-std-1913
Warne steel QD 30mm, medium height rings
Precision Shooting Sports billet bottom metal
Alpha Ind. 10 round WSM magazines
one 3-round AICS mag
DIY custom 6061 Aluminum pillars for bedding
DIY custom bedding in a cheap unfinished laminate stock
PTG reamer with slightly longer throat
cheap 26" remington "take off" barrel re-chambered to WSM

The Alpha detachable box magazines (DBM) are built to fit the AICS "standard" but are made to fit a longer cartridge and are closer to a double stack so they fit more rounds for the same size magazine. For DBM with WSM they are about the only option besides Seekins, which allows even longer cartridges but is not compatible with anything else. Also, the Alpha guys answered the telephone. The best I can reliably fit in my current magazines is 2.975" and that's after I buff out the weld bead in the top inch of the box to keep the meplats from dragging. The precision shooting bottom metal is the only one I could find that moves the magazine back relative to the feed ramp to take advantage of the longer cartridge length without having to notch out the feed ramp area of the receiver. I think a lot of the 308 based cartridge guys notch out the feed ramp to use these magazines, and I wanted to have that strength there for the WSM. So I made a new bolt stop to move the bolt back some and cut out the back part of the port in the bottom of the receiver a little bit until everything fit nice.

Making pockets in the ADL stock for the pillars:

Inletting the bottom for the DBM after indicating off the receiver screw holes stuffed with gage pins and truing it up a little (just take light cuts):

Basic "exploded" assembly:

12-42x56mm Nightforce NXS:

Bottom metal back from black anodize and finished inletting for the DBM:

I found an el cheapo 7mm mag barrel, cut off the shank and re-chambered it to 7mm WSM. It finished at a little over 25" but in terms of bullet travel the barrel is only about 0.3" shorter. The action was bedded in with the barrel free floating. The stock got a couple coats of tung oil, so here it is ready to shoot with the F-class version for comparison:

The wind finally died down enough to start working up some loads:

I still need to come up with a sling and maybe a bipod setup of some sort. I'll also keep an eye out for a decent barrel blank. Right now I think the rifle is around 5kg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Added some flush mount sling attachments and a recessed rail for a bipod attachment:

A brake is probably the next project.