Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I'm dumb as a stump about a lot of things including sporterized '03s. The local pawnshop has a reasonably nice customized gun with low safety, scope mounts and Leupold 3-9 VXII and some kind of aftermarket trigger for #389.00. It's nothing special but clean in 308 Norma Mag. Needs a new crown, the stock is OK plain walnut but no checkering and probably needs bedding. Is the thinga-ma-jiggy on the left rear the magazine cut-off and should it release the bolt as well when flipped to off? Thanks in advance for some education. BTW, ser. no is xxx4380.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First check out the serial number range that its a safe one. See his data yourself.

Then if it looks nice buy it. The price is right and Springfield actions are as slick as they come.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the serial number is that high then it should be safe, but I cannot remember offhand. part will depend on factory. Now, if it is a good factory and right serial number range JUMP ON IT. Come on, the scope is worth half that right there. Springfield 03's are getting harder to come by and more expensive. I have an action I think I paid about 150 for, maybe a bit more, then you are looking at another 50 for bottom metal and 50 for bolt. that has no trigger, so I am at 250 on it.

308 Norma is a good caliber too, I have two 03's in the safe in that chambering, mine and my stepfather's.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. Right, the scope is worth $100 to $150 no questions asked. That's why I got interested. As I looked closer and saw the goodies that had already been done it just seemed like the thing to do.
Main thing I wasn't sure of is whether the left hand lever that looks like a magazine cut-off was actually supposed to be a bolt release, the original safety and/or has it been altered to perform the bolt release task?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can check recievers here:

Springfield low vs high number

If you like the way the work was done and you are interested in the caliber, then I say go for it. I picked up an old Springfield sporter (on a low number reciever at that) back in October. I am going to do it up right. I am a died in the wool M98 military guy, but I do like the old Springfields. SOunds like a nice rifle

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Yes, the cutoff is the bolt release. The cutoff should be up against the receiver to hold the bolt in the receiver. It should be in the center position to remove the bolt.

Any serial number with seven digits is very strong. If you could tell me the first two numbers I could tell you what it is for sure. It could be a Springfield Armory 1903, Remington 1903, Remington 1903A3, or a Smith Corona 1903A3. If it has a sheet metal triggerguard it most likely is an A3. The Remington 1903 is the only one of the three that came with a milled trigger guard but one could have been added to the other two. Of the three mentioned the Springfield Armory 1903 is the most desireable, but any Springfield is a fine rifle to own.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all. I went and bought it a short while ago. Idared, it is a Springfield with Remington military bottom metal, I guess. It is milled. I can read Springfield through the hole in the front of the scope base. The first #s are 302. The barrel is original military turned to a sporter profile and rechambered. Trigger is a Timney and the rings, bases and safety are all Buehler. The stock is an opened-grip monte carlo with cheekpiece and white line spacers so common to Fajen and Bishop back in the good ole days. Has the Pachy "WhiteLine" red waffle pad. Prety cool, all in all.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Marc.....thanks for the link....it was interesting and again increases awareness about firearms.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
tiggertate

It is a Remington 1903 that was made in 1942.

REMINGTON ARMS PRODUCTION OF M1903
1942-3000001-3348085

They are a very nice action as a whole, made of nickel steel and very safe for any normal cartridge. I have two of them and both are finished quite nicely. Not as nice as a few Springfield Armory ones I have, but still better than any 1903A3s.

With everything on the rifle as you bought it I would say you did very well. I would have been willing to pay more for it, and still felt I got a real deal. Congrats and enjoy it. It is a real piece of US history.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for dies & brass. It took 3 DAYS, 24 hrs a day to get the barrel copper-free with Wipe-Out. Looks orders of magnitude better.
Just though I'd mention for the lefties there's a Mauser 2000, 7Mag left-hand at the same shop for $595 with rings and bases. I think that is a Heym gun sold by Mauser. PM me if you want a name & number.