New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a new extractor for an FN mauser. I bought a couple from Sarco that were listed as new, but they don't fit worth a darn. The extractor edge wasn't long enough to hold tension/engagement on the rim and it had about .013".015" of movement that the tab would slide back and forth in the slot in the bolt head. I understand that I could remove material to give the extractor more engagement on the cartridge, but the front to back play seems excessive and there is no way the extractor could hold the round against the bolt face.

Anyone know a source for some quality Mauser extractors that are in good shape? I would like to buy a few. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider trolling ebay there are usually plenty from new to used.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser 98 extractor was designed with an undercut half-dovetail that allows the extractor to move fore and aft. That allows it to grip a balky case tighter as the bolt is withdrawn. Other rifles don't have that feature. Try finding one made by DWM ex. 1909 Argentine, 1908 Brazilian. They are usually of quite high quality.
quote:
Originally posted by +Templar+:
I need a new extractor for an FN mauser. I bought a couple from Sarco that were listed as new, but they don't fit worth a darn. The extractor edge wasn't long enough to hold tension/engagement on the rim and it had about .013".015" of movement that the tab would slide back and forth in the slot in the bolt head. I understand that I could remove material to give the extractor more engagement on the cartridge, but the front to back play seems excessive and there is no way the extractor could hold the round against the bolt face.

Anyone know a source for some quality Mauser extractors that are in good shape? I would like to buy a few. Thanks!

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing. They are way undersized.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1909s were for the 7.65x53 case and will fit loose as is on a standard case like an 06. If your new one has an anchor mark it is for a 1909.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the ones I ordered from Sarco had an anchor on them. I ordered two different part numbers, one that was supposed to be for the Mark X and one that was lists as New/Unissued. Both had the anchor???

I found some NOS K98 extractors they are parkerized. My last venture with parkerized parts didn't work out so well when I tried to have them blued. The parkerizing etched the surface so deep that it the surface wouldn't clean up. I wish William's would make some extractors for Mausers...

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
The 1909s were for the 7.65x53 case and will fit loose as is on a standard case like an 06. If your new one has an anchor mark it is for a 1909.
Don

Exactly correct. BT, DT.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. That's not been my experience. I have several Argy Mausers and a 7x57 built on an Argy Mauser action. I form cases from .30-06 and have never experienced any difficulty with holding cases on the boltface. I will say that surplus FMN Argy brass marked 7.65x54 is larger, around .478 at the rim. More like 6.5 Swede brass. These cases are quite snug bordering on tight in the boltface. Most case dimension drawings I have seen depict it as having the same rim as the '06. Individual results may vary though.
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I did the same thing. They are way undersized.
Don

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the 1909 extractor fit to the .06 case to be loose, just remove a few thou off the inside bearing surface of the dovetail to fit.
The same goes for those mint 1909 extractors, I've fitted them to a few bolts the same way, they are top quality.
Agree that 013" to 015" fore and aft is correct also.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno VZ24 extractors work really well on '06 bolt faces. They are tight.
Surely there's a supply of them in your neck of the woods.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I never gave these guys a test run on anything but found these. There is no description, only listed in the 98 parts.
https://www.palmbeachparts.com...tion.php?id=813&=SID

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I placed an order for three extractors through the Palm Beach place on Thursday. I'll let you guys know how they work out. If they don't work out, I'll see if I can get one of my German co-workers to secure some extractors for me.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The extractors from Palm Beach are a no-go. They fit just like the ones from SARCO. I check on 4 different bolts, including a german one.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nuts. I have a N.O.S. Centurion action that could use another extractor. The tip will barely hold a case on the bolt. Might have to fire up the mig.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My experience may not be the general rule....I got some '09 Argy bottom metals from Numerich. Of the 4, one was dandy, 1 marginal (loose at the catch) and 2 were unacceptable with missing levers, sloppy floor plates and had no Argentine "cap" markings. On the plus side, the refund check was here in 7 or 8 days. Wouldn't cost much to send some back.