Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Handi-rifle rechamber?
 Login/Join

posted
I was curious to know if an H&R Handi-Rifle originally chambered in .223 Remington could be rechambered to something like a .220 swift (or possibly the 22-243 middlestead)? What type of work would need to be done besides the obvious rechambering?

Would there be a significant velocity gain to justify such a modification, or would the short barrell (22") cause excessive flash/blast? I understand that this type of modification would probably cost more than the gun did originally, but I am just curious to know if it is possible. I love that little gun but would like a little more zip, at this point it is just a thought...

Thanks,
Nicholas

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It may be possible if you can find a willing 'smith, but my suggestion would be to go to H&R's webbsite and look at the available chamberings for extra barrels. It would prolly cost more to have the original bbl altered than to have an extra bbl added. I think they are just over $100.00.

I believe there is a 25-06 available that would certianly give you that extra zip. Ive got one of the Ultra's in 280 rem, its a 26" tube and the OAL of the rifle is less than most of my 24" bbled bolt actions. It is my back up varmint rifle.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have checked on the extra barrels previously, and I must say their selection is quite limited (I was dissappointed to say the least). I would prefer to stay in the .22 caliber range, as I already have a 7mm Rem Mag. The 25-06 would probably do I suppose, but there is something inside me that just does not agree with the '06 case (I don't want to have an arguement over that comment please - It is my opinion). My .223 is more of my "fun gun" and I would rather not have something with a powder appetite like the 25-06 for such purposes.

It is something I have been considering for some time. I could easily buy a new rifle in .220, but I love that little rifle with a passion and would rather have it modified than buy something new to get used to (and honestly if I were to buy a new gun, it would not be another .22). The little .223 is my backup varminter (sort of), which is why I would like to improve on its velocity if possible (plus have a little more "bang" in my fun shooting sessions). Of course as this is still an idea, I am open to any suggestions...

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would look around for an Encore frame and go that route. Even if you could find a gunsmith to modify that H&R, it would still be like throwing money away. If you get an Encore, you can have all sorts of wild stuff made up for it and when you get tired of it, it will still have resale value. Getting that H&R worked on is like taking a hamster to the VET or tring to fix a Bic lighter

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
You might try an 223AI I know a fellow that did it and really likes it.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have calculated and tested the Handi Rifle strength to beyond the 45/70 brass in my rifle.

Those that change calibers seem to be 357 mag to 357 max and 30-30 to 303 Brit.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What Dick said.

The 22-250 has only about 50 yards until the bullet is moving at .223 velocities.
So those charts [that say the .223 is good for 250 yards and the 22-250 is good for 400 yards] are just allot of hooey.

The .223 is my favorite cartridge.

The Remington web site ballistics page lists the 223 55 grain pointed soft point traveling 1554fps at 400yds and the 22-250 traveling 1832fps at 400yds.

The 50 grain Accutip 223 1851fps at 400 yds 22-250 2147fps at 400yds.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote