New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting the Lead Out!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey folks, cleaning issues in one of my guns, would like to post in this room for more exposure.

Here is my dilemma, got a Marlin 1894CL 25-20WCF. Thing was darn near new when I got it, hardly shot.
I cleaned in my typical manner, Hoppes, Kroil, Copper remover etc., and thought it was "clean".
Groups say otherwise. Hardly worth mentioning, 3-5" at 100 yards with 10X scope.
I've been shooting both jacketed and hard cast, mainly because I ran out of jacketed bullets.
Not good to mix I know, but it is what it is.

I know have gathered up a small supply of jacketed bullets, so I want to "deep" clean the lever gun and start load development over.
So I bought this Bore Tech stuff called "Rimfire Blend" for my 22s, and have been having similar issues there as well.

Following their instructions:
1. Wet 3 to 4 Bore Tech X Count patches with Rimfire Blend and individually push through bore to remove loose fouling.
2. Next, make 10 to 15 passes with a tight fitting Bore Tech brush saturated with Rimfire Blend.
3. Then repeat Step 1 and let Rimfire Blend soak for 5 to 10 minutes. For badly fouled rifles, extended soak times may be needed.
4. Finally, push dry patches through the bore until they come out clean.
5. Repeat above steps if necessary.

Now I rarely use brushes. Only on my muzzleloader and badly fouled things that I have been gifted.
Have never needed brushes on 95% of my centerfire stuff.
That said, I've never cleaned a bore brush either. That leads to my question.

Step 3, the first patch or two after brushing, comes out looking like chimney soot, black as tar. [Same on my inherited Sears&Roebuck 22LR].
So I wet patch and dry patch until they come out moderately white, and then do it all over again with the same results.
I am making no progress, at this rate I will be cleaning until the 2nd coming of the Christ...

I am concerned that at least some of the "soot" is residual debris left on my bore brushes.
Do folks clean their brushes, and if so, how do you do it?

Am I on the right path here? Or is there something else recommended.
Thus far copper remover is showing no signs, but I will do that again once the lead/carbon remover is pretty clean.

Frustrating...

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, this being the gunsmithinn section, my only COA would be to put a new barrel on it.
Might post this in the gun cleaning section; some of those guys know stuff.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's really lead fouling, quit screwing around with witches brews trying to dissolve and brush it out.

Get a strong rod, and a jag that fits well. Saturate a patch with true turpentine, not paint thinner or such. Push it through the bore, and let it set wet for a few minutes. Now, cut a patch that will be very tight going through the bore. Saturate it with turpentine, and force it through the barrel. It will squeak like a wet tennis shoe on a gym floor. But, will push out sheets and ribbons of lead that you couldn't see were in there. Repeat the tight patch several times and look down the bore to see if there's still islands of lead. Repeat until the bore is shiny. Most heavily leaded barrels I can clear with 4 to 10 passes with a tight turpentine patch.

I did this to an Italian sharps a guy brought me a few weeks ago; it wouldn't shoot 6 inch groups at 100. He had cleaned it to shiny using several commercial witches brew cleaners. I clamped it in the vise on my bench, ran three tight patches through it, looked down the bore and saw one spot left, put on a looser patch and mopped it back and forth in that area, and then pushed through another tight patch and it was all clear of lead. He went out and shot the same loads, and was approaching 1" groups.

First tight patch through pulled out some lead ribbons 1/16" wide and half inch long. He had polished them shiny in the bore, but they were still there.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I put a post in the cleaning section.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote