New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 match rifle (kinda long)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 303 British, P14 based match rifle is coming right along.
Each year I try and do some kind of personal project just to keep my interest up. Occasionally these are hunting rifles but usually target rifles. I like to do things a little differently sometimes. Hence, the 303 match rifle.
It started with a not bad P14 I picked up for 20 bucks. Understand, "not bad" is about as good as a P14 gets. This one had a decent bore (I didn't care)and had the bridge recontoured with an angle grinder. I didn't really know what to do with it at the time but when I saw that Shilen listed .311 barrels I decided then and there to make the perfect Canadian target rifle, a .303British.
I ordered an untapered blank ( CM Match)and tapered it to a heavy varmint contour while I had the lathe set up to contour some other barrels. I lapped it then set it aside.
I turned a mandrel that was a tight fit in the receiver then welded a piece onto the receiver bridge. This piece was cantilevered out over the loading port to give me room for alternative scope mounting holes. At the same time I cut a piece of 3/16 flat bar to fit in the mag cutout and welded it in place. At no time did I let the receiver ring get too hot to touch. I then set the thing up on the rotary fixture on the mill and recontoured the receiver ring and the bridge. I milled the bottom true and flat and drilled and tapped it for two more guard screws. I then took it over to the lathe and recut the face of the receiver.
After polishing I drilled and tapped six 8-40 holes for scope mounting. Four in the bridge, spaced at .430", and two in the ring, spaced at .860". With the extra holes and a pair of #46 bases I can mount any scope I've got.
The next job was to replace the bolt handle and weld up the cocking cam. I wanted to end up with about a 5/16" striker travel after I was done and the original cam is really just a firing pin retractor. I recut the cocking cam and hardened it. Worked slick.
So after I'd done all this I went to the next step which was to modify the P14 to accept a Rem 700 trigger. Since the cocking piece on the P14 is wider than the 700 and because I wanted to retain the original safety, I milled the reciever to offset the housing 1/16" to the left. I then cut down the right rear of the housing to allow the safety to engage the notch on the cocking piece. It was then a simple matter to drill the holes for the cross pins. The rear pin though, was replaced with a screw which threaded into the housing and extended through just enough to limit upward travel of the sear. The pin couldn't go clear through because the safty was there.
So why not just use a Timney or Dayton-traister trigger? A couple of reasons. First, anyone can put a Timney trigger on a P14 and have it work out. Too easy! Second, I wanted to convert the trigger to a three lever, 2 oz. trigger and I could easily do this with the 700 trigger. Also I had it on the shelf.
So, now the triger is on and it works just fine. The striker travel is exactly 5/16" and the safety works. The bolt lock has been eliminated so that if a cease fire is called I can engage the safety and open the bolt without haveing to worry about an accidental discharge. This can happen with the 2oz triggers!
Next, I make the bottom metal, install the barrel, and then fit the stock. The stock is a brown laminated, uninletted stock from Richards Microfit, rough shaped (looks like a beaver chewed it out)to a Marksman style.
My fellow "F" class shooters will have this unit to contend with this summer. I'm confident it will be one of a kind (who else would want one?) and a potential winner! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
One of a kind indeed! What a great old cartridge for a project rifle.. Any pics Bill?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Long live the 303! [Smile]

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I'm with Wstrnhuntr, I'd like to see a picture or 2 or 3 or so, maybe more! [Wink]
LouisB

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Bill
This is the kind of project you wish you were being paid for I bet. How many hours have you put in so far?
I'd like to see some pics too

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I imagine I have a couple days into the action. I work on this when I'm doing similar work on a paying job so it's kind of hard to say. The stock is the most time consuming (to me anyway). I've been meaning to figure out how to post pictures anyway so maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe Monday. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote