THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are pre and post-64 m70 barrels interchangeable?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I have a Winchester CRF model 70 Classic LT magnum action. I have recently located a Pre-64 barrel in 300 H&H thats supposed to be in excellent shape. Can you put a pre-64 barrel on post-64 CRF action? I know it's a strange question, but I've always wanted a 300 H&H and the factory barrel with factory sights appeales to me. Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thread size is correct and the headspace should be close but the sights are just as likely to end up on the bottom as on the top. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
The thread size is correct and the headspace should be close but the sights are just as likely to end up on the bottom as on the top. Regards, Bill.

Could the barrel be carfully set back and rechambered so they end up on top? or would the time envoled not justify doing this. Thanks for your responce. Terry

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The sights need to be indexed top dead center & the headspace adjusted. A worthwhile job IMO.
 -

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I contacted my smith today. He said it was doable, "just send the rifle in and I'll get to work on it". He also said it looked like he was gonna get that new car this year after all. What do you think he ment by that? [Confused] [Big Grin]

<t_bob38>
posted
TC1 I think you're ok as long as he didn't mention a boat.