THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need scope mount for Winchester model 06.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to put an antique scope on my 1930's vintage Winchester model 06. It was rebarreled before I bought it so it has little collector value. My eyes are not so good, so I like using scopes instead of the wide V notch sight.

I need bases that have a radius of .375" to fit on the 3/4 inch barrel. Anyone know which ones might be suitable? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
2 piece bases from a weaver chart from "kinks". there may be newer 1 piece pistol bases that will work also look into a hi-standard base #55

Base - len - Hole Space - Diameter - Thickness

22 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.70 - 0.201
21 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.71 - 0.273
13 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.73 - 0.238
42 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.73 - 0.298
17 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.77 - 0.219
44 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.77 - 0.279
16 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.84 - 0.205
43 - 0.812 - 0.504 - 0.84 - 0.265

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's sells some dovetail scope base stock. It comes in 12" sections, flat bottom or radius. I think the smallest radius they have is larger than what you need. Slightly smaller is OK, larger isn't. You'll probably have to buy the flat, then radius for your barrel. Not a big deal to do with a mill. Of course, you'll also have to drill & countersink the screw holes.

All that will be a piece of cake compared to drilling & tapping holes in the barrel. The difficulty of the work tends to expand proportionally to the value of the piece being worked on. The pucker factor definitely does.

P.S. Weaver makes a base to fit the Browning SemiAuto 22. It attaches to screw holes on the barrel & cantilevers back over the receiver. I don't know the radius of the barrel. You'll have to find one & measure it.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the fact that the 06 is a top-eject? You might want to try a Scout mount and scope, which will mount forward of the action.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've mounted a Burris Scout on my 1890 and am well-satisfied.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I could make you a basic single two piece base for what ever rings you would like to use Other then Leupold dovetail. .375 radius is no problem. Just tell me how high above the barrel you need the bottom of the scope ring to be.
PM me.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to use an old scope to keep it looking somewhat like a period piece. As far as I know, antique scopes with extended eye relief are not available. I do not think there will be a problem with the expended brass bouncing off the bottom of the scope tube.

kcstott, after the scope arrives and I pick out the rings, I will let you know if I need your services.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tang sight is a natural for that rifle.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I want to use an old scope to keep it looking somewhat like a period piece. As far as I know, antique scopes with extended eye relief are not available. I do not think there will be a problem with the expended brass bouncing off the bottom of the scope tube.

kcstott, after the scope arrives and I pick out the rings, I will let you know if I need your services.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ranb

Could also build a tangent base that sits off center of the action to allow case ejection

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The breechblock rises up above the top of the receiver and will hit the bottom of the scope if it's not mounted VERY high. The oldtimers solved this problem by using offset scope bases, set over to the left. All the old scopes had short eye relief and long tubes.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a good side mount these days. I have an old weaver "N" mount laying around, it's NOT what you call hi-class, but it had that vintage look.

pic off the web

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I believe Weaver is about it as far as side mounts go.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you wan't to butcher a classic. Sell
to someone that will appreciate it and buy a rifle suitable for a scope.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

Because its his?

Because he likes the rifle and wants to shoot it?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you caution someone not to pee into the
wind your job is done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Does anyone make a good side mount these days. I have an old weaver "N" mount laying around, it's NOT what you call hi-class, but it had that vintage look.

pic off the web

There are still side mounts available but they're pricey. G&H gets $450 PLUS installation labor and I'm sure that other side mounts are available from NECG or Europe, probably for a similar price.

A good source can be eBay, I just saw a Jaeger side mount sell for less than $150, a SUPER bargain! Here are a couple of Jaegers.

Unfortunately neither of these would be suitable for the 1906.
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

I am not butchering a classic. If you read the OP, you will see that the barrel is not original, therefore not a classic. I am not doing anything to any of the original parts by mounting a scope.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the scope I want to mount. I just need to modify the mount or obtain a better one. Next year I might make an offset silencer that looks like an original Maxim to make it look more original. I can attach the original sights then too. I may also resurface the new barrel to make it look more like the original antique action.

The scope is just propped up against the barrel, not attached.

Ranb