New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shimming a scope on a Ruger 77 Mkll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shoot cast from my Ruger 30-06, thus I need a lot of scope adjustment at longer ranges. My problem is I ran out of adjustment at 200 yards. I tried shimming the rear scope base by .018" and it seemed to be OK; that is, it didn't bend the tube or put the adjustments in a bind. Only problem is it moved the scope over way too far to the right. Ruger's mounting system uses sort of an angled cut on the mounting bolts. By having the rear mount elevated .018" the side-to-side mounting was affected by the way the bolts draw up tight. Does anyone know of a different mount, different shims, etc., something I can do to raise the rear mount enough to give me more long-range scope adjustment?
Thanks,
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you are doing something that was not allowed for in the design of the Ruger 77, the best solution is to have the action surface ground, drilled and tapped for conventional rings and basis that allow the use of both type of loads. However you are looking at about $100. bill.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pull the shim out and mount the base as Ruger intended then shim that amount between the scope and the bottom ring.It will get tiresome pulling shims and resetting them between loads though. At least get some Torx screws for the rings.

The best solution is a scope with more range, even a 30mm tube, and no shims or only permanent shims.

[ 06-26-2002, 17:56: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Leupold or one of the long-range supliers make a one piece tapered base for that rifle ?
Or buy a one piece base and have it taper ground(on the top surface). If the grind shop is good they can do the same thing with a 2 piece set, and keep the top surfaces in the same plane.
Or get a set of (Conetrol?) rings that use inserts and opt. for a .020 offset insert.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote