Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Francotte 12ga./ 416 Rigby conversion
 Login/Join

posted
I am asking this question for a friend. This guy has years of experience as a smith and many more as a machinist/tool/die maker.

Question is, he has a Francotte 12 gauge double barrel side by side. This shotgun has the third fastener in the action. A true cross bolt. He would like to fit this action with new rifle barrels and make it into a double .416 Rigby. It will make a beautiful rifle as it has gold inlay, a very fine piece.

Does anyone out there have any experience converting double shotguns into rifles? I know that Ruger and Winchester use their shotgun actions for some big bore rifles. He wants to know if you all think if the Francotte has the ability to hold the pressures of the .416.

Thank you in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out a book called, I think, Building the Double Rifle on a Shotgun Action by W. Ellis Brown. You may want to look under Bundukipublishing.com or do a search for that company. He had the book out about a year or so ago, don't know if it is still available. He is located in Colorado.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought the book and it is great. I did a 470NE on an Antique Belgian 12ga with Greener cross bolt. It's mostly done, but still needs some stuff done. I would think that the 500-416 would be a better cartrige.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote