THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can Win Model 70 WSM actions feed Remington short action ultra mags (RSAUM)?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Win Model 70 WSM actions feed Remington short action ultra mags (RSAUM)?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can Win Model 70 WSM actions feed Remington short action ultra mags (RSAUM)? Just wondering. The RSAUM case is a little smaller in diameter, and a little shorter. I can't see the length being an issue, but am wondering about the width.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In short, yes, they can.
Often slicker than the WSM.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never substitute them. Here's an article that discusses them.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/short_magnums.htm

It states:

"...the new WSM and SAUM short magnums all look very similar to each other. None, however, are interchangeable."

Tom aka rinkydink

Posts: 206 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yes, We converted a M70 CRF from 300 WSM to 300 RSAUM. It works fine and I have better accuracy. Big Grin

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rinkydink:
I would never substitute them. Here's an article that discusses them.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/short_magnums.htm

It states:

"...the new WSM and SAUM short magnums all look very similar to each other. None, however, are interchangeable."

Tom aka rinkydink

I can be pretty dumb, but not that dumb. Perhaps I should have been more clear with my intentions , that being a rebarrel job. However, thank you for your concern, and looking out for my safety.
A lot of folks might well have thought to let natural selection take its course.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've learned that the 7mm RSAUM is ballistically identical (externaly) to the 280 improved (one grain difference in case capacity). For some reason, I've always thought that the 280 imp. is just cool. Now it can bassically be had in a short action with factory loads, and properly headstamped brass. All of these factors really don't make a hill of beans. My Rem 721 in 7mm-06 does it all in north america, and I think a 7mm-08 and 7x57 would really be just as adequate. I'm just a gun nut that likes mauser type actions and daydreaming about small perceived, but not significant, advantages. Whenever I get slapped really hard, reality briefly reminds me that the boringly common 308 or 30-06 are all that anyone in my neck of the woods will ever need. I rarely live in reality. Too many irons in the fire right now anyway. Just curious.

Matt
FISH!!