New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bench Vise?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been buying from Brownells for years, and I've always felt I got fair prices on good quality merchandise. Most times I've been charged less than my original order quoted due to price changes or reductions. I've learned to trust them. Yesterday I purchased their Multi-Vise #080-000-019 on page 167 of their Catalog #57 for $220. I know they have their new Catalog #58 already out. But I always purchase over the Internet anyway. Their web site had the same price, though the vise was on back-order. I like the idea that they also sell spare parts for the vise should a person need them. I made this purchase knowing full well that Midway USA has a look-alike on sale for $49.99 the Wheeler Engineering gunsmith vise #666-974. And Boyd's Gunsmithing Tools has another for $79.99 the Shop Fox Parrot #100-949. I also understand that Grizzly tools has the same Shop Fox Parrot vise on sale for $50

What am I missing here, can there be such a drastic difference in these vises. They look exactly alike (except for color), so much so that from pictures I'd swear they were made by the same manufacture.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and shop vises are a product area where you see that quite a bit, especially in the pot-metalloid junk you get from China.

I've got an E-mail out to Brownells customer service asking questions. And maybe I'm just looking for a little reassurance. But thought maybe that some of you from here have some knowledge on the Brownells Multi-Vise.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and save allot of money by going to http://www.woodcraft.com

They sell the exact same vice as Brownell’s with the added feature of drilled jaws that will accept screw on pads. The cost is $43.00.

They also sell the exact same Patternmakers vice that NEG sells for a over $200.00, for $95.00.

I have a Brownell’s model and it, and the one sold at Woodcraft, work much better if you drill and tap the head for a ⅜†or ½†screw/bolt so the damned things aren’t forever swiveling around on you. I hate a vice that takes two hands to operate since that sort of leaves you one hand short to hold whatever you are trying to clamp in the vice.

I also have a Bisely gun vice, and while a bit pricey, it is extremely handy and versatile .

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Do yourself a favor and save allot of money by going to http://www.woodcraft.com

I have a Brownell’s model and it, and the one sold at Woodcraft, work much better if you drill and tap the head for a ⅜†or ½†screw/bolt so the damned things aren’t forever swiveling around on you. I hate a vice that takes two hands to operate since that sort of leaves you one hand short to hold whatever you are trying to clamp in the vice.

Rick,

At the risk of sounding ignorant, (won't be the first time) could you explain this modification further?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

If you look at the large hole in the vice-proper where it slides over the the base spindle you will see what I’m talking about. Drill and tap a hole in that housing (there’s only one place you can do this, which you will see) that will allow a threaded bolt/screw to be tightened down against the spindle so the vice head will not rotate.

If you have the vice set up on your bench, the bolt/screw will enter from the rear of the body at a right angle to the spindle hole[s].

These vices have a provision (there’s a screw on the front that you tighten which forces an arm against the spindle of the base) to keep it from rotating...but it only works as the jaws are tightened together. And even then it doesn’t work real well.

If you are holding a part with one had and spinning the bar to tighten the jaws, the damn vice will spin all over the place and it’s a pain in the ass.

With the bolt inserted and tightened down this doesn’t happen.

This is hard to explain in words, but once you look at the vice it becomes pretty much self explanatory.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GreyGhost

The Brownells vise (used to be called Versa-Vise) is made in the USA.

The Midway and Grizzly version is made in China.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread explains why the multi-vise costs more than look alikes:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../997107241#997107241

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
This thread explains why the multi-vise costs more than look alikes:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../997107241#997107241

I have the Brownells vice and I also have one of the ones sold by Woodcraft, and I defy anyone to show me one bit of difference in the two besides the price, and the fact that the one from Woodcraft has the jaws drilled for screw on wood facings, and the one from Brownell’s doesn’t. Both of them are the exact same green color, and both are made of iron...one costs $220.00 and the other $47.99...on sale right now for $42.99! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the above vises, but decided on another course.

I found a Wilton 2 inch vise and PowRarm junior on ebay (after a few months of looking and losing bids). After glass beading and painting the set-up works great and looks as good as new.

Just another option.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decided to stay with the Brownells vise. Recieved an E-mail from them and they stated that their vice is indeed made in the U.S. That's good enough for me!

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my vise cost me $13 at Lowes. It's a Columbian brand vise. Maybe made in China. I went through about 7 boxes until I found a good one, but I'm happy enough with it. Lowes would have taken it back if I wasn't happy with it. It's the same brand I used at work for years. Smaller than I would have thought I needed (3" or 3 1/2" jaws), but I used the one at work on much bigger stuff than at home. I bought rubber magnetic jaw protectors (gun protectors really, I guess), and I've made a couple sets of poplar wood jaws for special circumstances. Maybe I've got a whole $20 in the vise. I don't how I spent the $200 I saved.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:
Decided to stay with the Brownells vise. Recieved an E-mail from them and they stated that their vice is indeed made in the U.S. That's good enough for me!

Phil

Buy American! Smiler

I have one of them also, and it works just fine...IF [!] you add the bolt I told you about. I told Brownells that for $220.00 they ought to add that feature and make it a bit more worth the money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rob,

If you look at the large hole in the vice-proper where it slides over the the base spindle you will see what I’m talking about. Drill and tap a hole in that housing (there’s only one place you can do this, which you will see) that will allow a threaded bolt/screw to be tightened down against the spindle so the vice head will not rotate.

If you have the vice set up on your bench, the bolt/screw will enter from the rear of the body at a right angle to the spindle hole[s].

These vices have a provision (there’s a screw on the front that you tighten which forces an arm against the spindle of the base) to keep it from rotating...but it only works as the jaws are tightened together. And even then it doesn’t work real well.

If you are holding a part with one had and spinning the bar to tighten the jaws, the damn vice will spin all over the place and it’s a pain in the ass.

With the bolt inserted and tightened down this doesn’t happen.

This is hard to explain in words, but once you look at the vice it becomes pretty much self explanatory.

Rick, I bought one of these and see what you mean about needing 3 hands.

One question, does the extar bolt you added chew up the spindle at all when you tighten it? I was thinking of using some threaded nylon to keep the spindle smooth.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I’m sure it doesn’t make it any prettier...but I haven’t really noticed anything I would call “damage.â€

That tip actually came from Brownells Gunsmithing Kinks books...so I’m not sure why they haven’t added that feature by now. You would think when you’re selling a $50.00 vice for $220 bucks you could afford to drill and tap one damned hole in the thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They're probably still writing the press release for when they do it.

I'll probably use a brass bolt, what size bolt did you D&T for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Either a ⅜†or ½†will fit fine. One of those pre-threaded plastic knobs works great. You can usually find them at Home Depot, or Lowes. If you make your own just thread both ends and install a knob so you don’t have to search for a wrench when you want to tighten it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

In the 60's the Columbian Vise Company of Cleveland made the "Gyro-vise" model 72 1/2 with jaws 2 1/2 wide and 4 inches deep. Because the jaws were tall and relatively slender, it was a great vice for stock holding. The jaws were also apparently easily broken, and the vise was never really popular.

The line was sold to Wilton, and the name changed to the Versa-Vise. The Jaws were heavier, about 3 1/2 wide and 2 1/2 deep. This was discontinued in about the mid 80's (I think).

I don't know who makes the current vise sold by Brownells, but if it has the same quality as the earlier ones, there is no need for a bolt to fix the vise on the stub. If adjusted properly, it grips the stub and holds with very light pressure on the jaws. The vise is bored to a very close fit on the stub.

If you want a useful stock holding vise, check your used tool sources or e-bay for the "Gyro Vise"

I'd post a picture of these, but I haven't learned to do that yet. If someone wants to know what the earlier ones look like, I can probably sent a JPEG.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Woodcraft Patternmaker's vise--which I notice they are now subtitling Gunstock Carving Vise--and it's one of the better purchases I've ever made.

The wooden jaws swivel, so as to hold awkward objects.

I noticed that David Wesbrook, in his "Professional Stockmaking" book, sometimes loosens the bottom screws in the jaws, so as to accommodate shapes that bevel top to bottom too.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, my Versa Vice says on the decal on the side that it was made by the Will-Burt Co. Orrville Ohio. Where was this one in the history?

I have an original Bisley Rifle vice made the A. G. Parker & Co. Ltd, Birmingham that was given me to me by a retired local gunsmith last year. My most used and versatile vice is a Kimball vice designed by gunsmith Keesey Kimball in Texas.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
Guy

I don't know who makes the current vise sold by Brownells, but if it has the same quality as the earlier ones, there is no need for a bolt to fix the vise on the stub. If adjusted properly, it grips the stub and holds with very light pressure on the jaws. The vise is bored to a very close fit on the stub. Roger

Sorry, Roger...but the adjustment on my Brownells vice doesn’t stop the head from rotating until the jaws either come together, or clamp down on the work piece. That is how it is designed.

The reason I installed the bolt is for those times when you are holding the work piece with one hand and closing the vice with the other...which is just about every time you use the damned thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic

I don't know when Wilton sold to Will-Burt. I bought the Columbian Gyro Vise in the early 60's, and the Wilton in the early 70's. I remember the Will Burt advertisements. I don't know how long they made this. Maybe someone else will add to this.

I agree that the Bisley Rifle vise with the support and the Kimball look much more useful, but I have never had the pleasure of using either one. I will send you the JPEG I took of the ones I have..

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rob,

Either a ⅜†or ½†will fit fine. One of those pre-threaded plastic knobs works great. You can usually find them at Home Depot, or Lowes. If you make your own just thread both ends and install a knob so you don’t have to search for a wrench when you want to tighten it.

What are these pre-threaded plastic knobs used for and in what dept. are they found?

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I am probably a vice monger. I have used the Versa vice but not much. I have two wiltons and the Bisley that have never been attached to my work table. Some day.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
quote:
Rob,

What are these pre-threaded plastic knobs used for and in what dept. are they found?

Thanks, Rob

Hardware/Fasteners. I know you know what I’m talking about...threaded metal stud, black plastic knob on one end...

Used for finger tight adjustments on fixtures, power tools, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys are using vices:
http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/shoptour.htm

It is the same old vices that show up in the old Dunlop gunsmithing book.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote