New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Trigger Guard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody made one for a rifle? I bought the Meiers cast blank from Midway a while ago. it was a pretty bad casting and it didn't work out. With this and any for a shotgun require cutting out 1/2" and welding. I thought it might be easier just making one. What stumps me is the curved return for the back of the guard. Thoughts?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Back when I had the sickness and built wood stocks I used to use the Browning Citori and Winchester 101 guards all the time.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search the parts boxes at gunshows. I found a couple I liked, off European shotguns I'd guess. They had a nice shape, and could be tweaked to shape ( not castings).

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, best to find an old one, but if you have to make one, the curved part is cut from a thicker piece, or could be welded on.
look at the muzzle loading TG castings from TrackoftheWolf; ; some will work, and are good quality investment castings.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
cheapos from gunparts savage, smith, H&R

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Search the parts boxes at gunshows. I found a couple I liked, off European shotguns I'd guess. They had a nice shape, and could be tweaked to shape ( not castings).

Yep, I have done the same thing. Nice to be able to look them over and get the size/shape/quality you like. I found several engraved with a bit of nice English scroll. Think I paid $5.00-$6.00. That was some years ago, though.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are your capabilities? This is one version that I made.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECG. Not cheap, but quality seldom is...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I have no idea if this photo post will appear. This is a test.

If it works, here's what I am trying to do, mainly a blind magazine Mauser in 7x57. This is not about the bolt handle. Smiler

Thanks for suggestions on where to buy one. Since I would likely have to cut and weld one I bought, I thought it would be as easy to make one and hoped somebody had done it.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj

Posted above before I saw the photos you took.

Is there something in a photo that I can use for a size comparison? Is the sheet of paper 8 1/2"

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
found my "freehand" pad. each box is 1/8"

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj, thanks for retaking the photos. I appreciate it.