Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement bolt handles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I want to have a Mauser pear-shaped bolt handle installed on a 90 degree to the action on a Montana 1999 SA. Where is the best place to purchase one of these bolt handles. I actually prefer smooth, but will consider checkered. I will be using a scope on this rifle.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells one. I believe it is by Talley. Anyway, smooth and quite inexpensive. I have one that is going to go on a 7X57 M98 I am working on.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If in the odd event you cannot find the precise handle you're looking for, I would be willing to bet that your smith could take another bolt handle and turn it on his lathe to the shape you desire prior to welding it on.

That said, I would start with Talley and expand the search out from there.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am hoping to get Mark Stratton to work on the metalsmithing portion of this rifle.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Talley handle on mine. I think Talley is what everyone uses

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
What actual procedure and welding equipment is used?

On a Turk I sporterized my self, I cut the handle real close and at an angle most of the way through, then used my Lincoln weld pack wire feed to fill in the gap and tried to put extra on so I could grind it down to the right profile. I had the rest of the bolt wrapped in a wet towel.

So how is it actually supposed to be done?
Thanks.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
What actual procedure and welding equipment is used?

On a Turk I sporterized my self, I cut the handle real close and at an angle most of the way through, then used my Lincoln weld pack wire feed to fill in the gap and tried to put extra on so I could grind it down to the right profile. I had the rest of the bolt wrapped in a wet towel.

So how is it actually supposed to be done?
Thanks.

z1r is doing three Mauser bolts for me right now. Two with new Talley handles and one done the same way as you describe. He uses a TIG welder though.

I’m not much of a welder, which is why Mike is doing them for me, but from what I understand the idea is sort of like being with a hooker...get in and get out as fast as possible.

You don’t want to use a procedure that keeps the heat there for too long and TIG welding is pretty much designed for just that. It’s also a good idea to use a heat sink and heat stop paste to keep as much heat away from the cocking cam area as possible.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try to find out how the original handles are put on those Montana bolts. I don't know how they are put on, so I am just speculating, but you might want to check to make sure they are not soldered on. If they are, then changing them out might require a procedure different from say that of changing a bolt on a mauser.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I will be leaving this in the hands of a professional, such as Mark.

Just looking for ideas similar to the rifles above which I really like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I will be leaving this in the hands of a professional, such as Mark.

Just looking for ideas similar to the rifles above which I really like.

You know the difference between a professional and an amateur is that the professional is better at hiding his mistakes! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Call Jim Baiar at Half Moon Rifle Shop and ask him for his large Oberndorf style bolt handle.

Half Moon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd
Columbia Falls, MT 59912-8919

Phone: 406-892-4409

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call Jim Baiar at Half Moon Rifle Shop and ask him for his large Oberndorf style bolt handle.

Half Moon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd
Columbia Falls, MT 59912-8919

Phone: 406-892-4409

I will give it a try. Do you have any photos of the handles?