THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Converting a Blind Magazine Model 70 to a Hinged Floor Plate. HELP!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a Blind Magazine Model 70 to a Hinged Floor Plate. HELP!!
 Login/Join

<Fire Hawk>
posted
I am converting a blind magazine push feed Model 70 (Ranger) in 7mm Rem Mag to a hinged floor plate model with a new synthetic stock. I have the stock and now I need the floor plate and triggerguard.

Some have mentioned that I might need a new magazine and others have said that I probably will not. I don't know which to believe.

Just curious if any of you have done a similar job and know from first hand experience. I am hoping someone out here has done this job and can point me the right direction.

My gunsmith has said that he has an entire mechanism that he can order for about $78 and he didn't think I would need to change the magazine. I know that the spring and follower are the same and will work just fine.

I would kind of like to try to do it myself if I can get away with it. Just so that I can say that I did so. I can order the trigger guard and floor plate directly from Winchester for about $65. The magazine will be another $26 if needed.

Are there any other procedures I need to consider as well?

Thanks again for the help! FH

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Firehawk,

Just glancing at my Jack First catalog and it lists a different magazine box than the one on your Ranger.

Malm

<Fire Hawk>
posted
Malm,

Are you saying that your Jack First catalog lists a different magazine for a hinged floor plate Model 70 than what is in the Blind magazine Model 70?

Help me understand please. I will probably order a magazine too just in case. Thank you!

FH

one of us
posted Hide Post
pardon my ignorance but what is Jack First?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Firehawk,

Yes, according to the parts catalog, the magazine box you need with the hinged floor plate system, appears to be different from that which you now have...

Perhaps you have a friend who has a Mod 70 with the hinged floorplate that you can compare yours with to see what the difference is between the two before you place your order. Where in Utah are you?

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can forget about that 2-piece floor plate assembly from Winchester, as it was piece of sh*t on my Classic. Get a custom one piece assembly from Brownells and save yourself some headache. I got a custom Williams one piece floor plate on my Model 70 and couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Rockhead,

Jack First,Inc is a gun parts distributor located in So. Dakota. They produce 2 catalogs containing new gun parts, obsolete parts and accessories. The catalog lists some obsolete ammo as well. The catalog has a section which lists "private brand" conversions such as who made which model firearm for Sears etc. The catalogs can be a useful reference tool for those who work on guns. You can reach Jack First,Inc at (605)343-9544.

Malm

<Fire Hawk>
posted
Malm,

I live in Roy. Thanks for your help! I have had another gentlemen send me a digital photo of his magazine on a hinged floor plate Ranger 7mm Rem. He also sent me the dimensions at various points. I haven't looked at it yet, but I am definitely on the right track.

Mingo, How do you really feel about the quality of the floor plate? [Smile]

I have just picked up the synthetic stock and want to make it work on what I currently have. I have never heard anyone complain about the hinged floor plate on a model 70 before. I have heard several complaints about several manufacturers detatchable magazines though.

Thanks again! FH