New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with .375 Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have a .375 H&H Model 70 Winchester in Ethiopia that has picked up a nasty habit. When you take the safety off, the rifle fires...a most disconcerting happenstance.
They put another model 70 .375 bolt in and it functions . This make me think it's something on the bolt assembly that needs replaced. Not being able to see the rifle and not being familiar with model 70's...can anyone tell me the part that is needed?
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Maybe just increase the trigger pull weight. To compensate for a worn sear????

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

It sounds as though there isn't enough 'lift off'. When the safety is put on the firing pin should move to the rear (lift off the sear) about .020". This allows the sear to re-engage the cocking piece if the trigger is pulled while the safety is on. If the firing pin does not lift off the sear enough the mating on the cocking piece should be filed back a small ammount. Do it a little at a time because if you file too much the safety will be difficult to put on.

Hope this helps.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first read the response by Headache, I thought he was wrong so I went and re-read it. Just to clarify, the thing that needs work is the underside, the area that mates with the trigger, not the area of the cocking piece that mates with the safety lever.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
It could be a combination of the engagement area where the sear mates with the cocking piece that needs some work, as well as the safety lever cutout on the cocking piece.

I would most likely inspect the safety cutout first, to ensure as Headache mentioned that it had enough "lift off". More times than not, this will take care of the problem.

All of the cocking pieces from USRAC were ground very precariously, but luckily that area isn't nearly as critical as some of the other features in that trigger assembly. With a little tuning, it can easily be fixed 99% of the time.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,
I'll let you know how it goes.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote