New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Mauser Identification
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
98 action in sporter stock with 22 inch barrel no sights,one military step in the barrel. 8MM bore. no caliber marking on barrel

any help appreciated

I got this info over the phone - have not seen it myself
Top of front ring -
maybe remnants of an eagle - very small

left side rail
Duetsch Waffen UND
MunitionsFarbriken Orbendordorf

Rigth side rail
Model 1908

Right side front ring
Script B 41XX B in a circle

behind lug on bottom a K and a 38

I think he said it had an "S" on the barrel

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's been rechambered (to somthing like 8mm-06 etc) it is probably a standard 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser).
There is always the possiabilty, considering it's age, that it might be a .318 bore instead of the later (standard) .323. I'd recogmend slugging the barrel to be sure before firing.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The markings are consistent with a 1908 Brazilian Mauser. Should be 7x57, although it could be a arsenal rebarrel to 30/06.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, the 1908 was a Brazilian contract in 7x57. Rifles were marked DWM and were made in both Oberndorf and Berlin.

I have seen early Mauser commercial sporters in 8x57 made on this action, but they have had Oberndorf 1908 marked across the top of the receiver ring, in place of the contract crest.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More info
Bore measures 8MM with a caliper.
Barrel marked

DR2796
E

Right side is Mod 1908 not Model 1908
Left side has somthing after Orbendorf looks like "aN"

By sporter I mean somone drilled and tapped for scope mounts, welded on a bolt handle, filled the front locking screw hole on the triggerguard, added a sporter stock and bedded the action -- Then painted the metal black.

The bolt work and drilling appear to be good. I can swap for it for a little or nothing. Wondering if the action is OK for a project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
a/N stands for am Neckar . Oberndorf is along the Neckar river in Germany.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The markings you describe exactly fit those shown in photographs of a Brazilian 08 Mauser in Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World Second Edition".

The 08 was made between 1908 and 1914. I read somewhere that Mauser metallurgy or heat treating was changed around 1910 and that actions built after that date are more appropriate for high pressure cartridges.

If the original barrel was not usable, it would have been a cheap fix for someone to rebarrel the action with a used 8x57 barrel.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

Yes. I found pictures of the Brazilian 1908 and the action markings match exactly. Must have been rebarraled. Any Idea if the action has any marks to indicate the date of manufacture?

one of us
posted Hide Post
"B" series serial number is probably early in the production run. Nice actions, esp. the Oberndorfs. Barrel BTW should be 8x57 from a Romanian contract VZ-24, according to serial number format.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote