New
Find
Notify
Tools

cant open bolt on unfired round.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Made some dummy rounds for my cz 550 416 rigby. measured col to lands and they are not touching lands. All 6 fed and ejected fine. bolt seemed a bit tight at the last part of closing but no marks on brass. Loaded up some work up loads. chamberd round and bolt close seemed a bit tighter. Ejected round, compared to dummys and all was the same. reloaded it thinking i would close it then eject it and look with magnifier to see if any marks. Now I cant open bolt, not even with rubber hammer. What to do? Its loaded with 90 gr of IMR 4350 with a 350 gr tsx bullet. Just shoot it out and see if that loosens it? Never ran into this before. In fact I've never shot a round so hot I couldn't lift the bolt.

Posts: 1077 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd loosen the action screws a bit and see if the bolt will open. If not, tighten them back down and let 'er rip. I don't know, what else can you do? Is the safety working the way it's supposed to ?

Posts: 737 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
OK first off you are handling a loaded rifle. Can you fire it safely where you are without transporting it to a safe area. I would fire it off pronto as you have already tried a rubber hammer and anymore mucking around trying to open the bolt is getting into dangerous territory.

I assume you have checked that your cases are trimmed correctly, if so check chamber depth of the neck. Could be crimping the neck in the chamber as the bolt locks into battery and distorting the shoulder.
The 416 Rigby is known for folding shoulders, due to the rather sharp shoulder and large diameter neck the case has if not chamfering the case mouth properly and seating bullets carefully, this could be happening either when seating bullets or when chambering if the case mouth is being pinched. It would only take a fraction of distortion to make hard chambering and lock the bolt.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
I'd loosen the action screws a bit and see if the bolt will open. If not, tighten them back down and let 'er rip. I don't know, what else can you do? Is the safety working the way it's supposed to ?

Safety works fine, good idea about action screws, will check but I doubt problem. 30 inch lbs on front 15 on rear. wondering if I leave it in front of heater over night ? also wondering if there is something in lug recess? did a quick swab of thing when i got it home but maybey not good enough.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. When cases stick, it is usually/always that the chamber is smaller OD than the die. As I say, it is a miracle that we have as good luck as we do, given the huge tolerances allowed and used by reamer, die, ammo, and rifle makers.
Yikes; just read this; Do NOT put it near a heater. Bad idea.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Sgt. Phil Esterhaus said, "Let's be careful out there."

Posts: 737 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Shoot it out in a safe place like a range or soft dirt bank. Be safe. No more hammer for you. Big Grin

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5171 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, live on a farm, shooting range is 75 yards behind house. Will touch er off tomorrow, then check all that has been mentioned.

Was doing hammering out side in safe area Smiler

New brass,, but I will run some through die and make some more dummies' before I proceed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us know the outcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
OK first off you are handling a loaded rifle. Can you fire it safely where you are without transporting it to a safe area. I would fire it off pronto as you have already tried a rubber hammer and anymore mucking around trying to open the bolt is getting into dangerous territory.

I assume you have checked that your cases are trimmed correctly, if so check chamber depth of the neck. Could be crimping the neck in the chamber as the bolt locks into battery and distorting the shoulder.
The 416 Rigby is known for folding shoulders, due to the rather sharp shoulder and large diameter neck the case has if not chamfering the case mouth properly and seating bullets carefully, this could be happening either when seating bullets or when chambering if the case mouth is being pinched. It would only take a fraction of distortion to make hard chambering and lock the bolt.

Yes upon closer inspection the shoulders are visibly distorted. I can only assume that due to the fact that I used the roll crimp on rcbs die I caused this ( I have never used that before ) incorrectly ? I have lee factory crimp die, but not the press to use it as it is larger diameter die. always something new Smiler

Thanks !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the Lee FCD is not the standard 7/8 14 thread ?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Good at least you have found the problem, the stuck case will be fine to shoot fireforming the shoulders back to spec.

I always resize new brass and give a good chamfer to the case neck with my Lyman VLD chamfer. Factory brass today is often roughly finished so I never load new brass at it comes from the manufacturer.
Nothing wrong with roll crimping with an RCBS die but best to do it as a separate operation rather than at the same time as seating the bullet and of course you need a cannelured bullet to roll crimp.

Due to that sharp shoulder on the 416 Rigby case you need to be cautious when roll crimping and don't over do it.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my Rigby CZ550, I use a seperate crimping die. Don't know if you do or not. When I first started reloading for the 416, I seated the bullet and crimped in same die. Even with cases trimmed the same length, I still had a few fold on me.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Try doing your seating and crimping in two different steps. When I load for my 416 Rigby or 375 H&H I seat the bullets with the die set not to crimp. When the entire batch is loaded like that, I back off the seater, so it won't seat the bullet any deeper and adjust the die body to crimp the loaded round. Don't overdo it with the crimp.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot the stuck round, all good and ejected clean and easy. On the bright side , after 20 some years looking at the top of my rcbs press, I finely found out what the 6 sided nut on top was for Smiler crimping with my lee factory crimp now.
As a side note, it looks like the cz will be fairly accurate shooting 350 gr tsx bullets at 2550 fps Smiler

thanks guys !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle shot just inside 1" at 100 yards with 3 rounds. 350 tsx, 93 gr imr 4350 / 2520-2550 fps. doubt I'll tinker any more Smiler
Now for another deposit to AUS!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
Rifle shot just inside 1" at 100 yards with 3 rounds. 350 tsx, 93 gr imr 4350 / 2520-2550 fps. doubt I'll tinker any more Smiler
Now for another deposit to AUS!

More then adequate to shoot large game with.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your success.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5171 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow, you just uncomplicated a minor problem!! congratulation! tu2

What ever happened to a bigger lead hammer?? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote